Re: <table type="rowsortable">

As you noted, the sort order for a column may be dependent on the
application.  Trying to enumerate all possible combinations is going to be
painful (for the browser implementors), and incomplete.

Also if you have more than one column of data, you probably want some
secondary keys (to determine the order of rows where the primary key is
equal).  The secondary key might be another column, or it might be data not
in the table.

Implementations of complex specifications tend to differ.  The differences
cause pain for application developers.  Responsible vendors are going to
preserve backwards compatibility, so the differences are going to be
permanent.

KISS the problem.  There is some value in declaring a column as sortable, as
the browser could present all sortable columns with a consistent
appearance.  For sorting, you cannot cover all the application-specific
cases, so don't try.  Default to a simple alpha sort, and allow script to
plug in sort functions to override the default.

Oddly enough, in the first two cases where I had a need for sortable tables
in an application, the first required a round-trip to the server
(application semantics), and the second ended up using a secondary key from
data not in visible table.  Perhaps this is atypical, but the result is I
cannot see putting the browser implementors to a lot of pain - for function
I would have had to override.