VP3 as the Mandated Video Format?

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 22:04:26 -0400
To: HTML WG Public List <public-html@w3.org>

   Is there any reason we couldn't standardize on VP3 as a required
format for <video>? From what I understand, it carries less perceived
patent risk than Ogg Theora while still being supported by Ogg Theora
players because Ogg Theora is a superset. Would this not allow the use
of a relatively safe common format while encouraging the integration of
support for Ogg Theora at the same time?