RE: Microsoft has now joined the HTML Working Group

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>On Apr 5, 2007, at 3:40 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:
>> Surely this would be handled under the W3C Graphics Activity [1],
>> not the HTML Activity?  I think it's a useful technology, and I'd
>> like to see Apple submit it.  But it might be out of scope for the
>> HTML WG.
>I think new HTML elements and DOM APIs are in scope for the HTML
>Working Group. These may include graphics capabilities, just as
>Graphics Activity specs include hypertext capabilities.

New elements and apis are in scope.

>More specifically, the charter calls for:
>
>* A language evolved from HTML4 for describing the semantics of
>documents and applications on the World Wide Web.
>Clearly, <canvas> would be covered by these categories and indeed is
>used by HTML web applications today.

I'm not sure graphics rendering falls in the category of "semantics of documents and applications" - it would seem more like presentation.  I'm not making a strong point here, just saying that it's on the bubble at best.  I do think the <canvas> pattern needs to be addressed under the W3C, so I'm not necessarily against it.  Regardless, I would hope we can provide some bridge between us and the other presentation efforts in the W3C.

-Chris