Re: Use the role-attribute instead of predefined class names

From: Olivier GENDRIN <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 11:35:34 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org

On 4/5/07, Daniel Schattenkirchner <schattenkirchner.daniel@gmx.de> wrote:
> In my opinion the XHTML 2 role-attribute is far superior to the Web
> Applications 1.0 predefined class names because the latter got several
> disadvantages:
>
> I don't think they are what most here call backward compatible.
> Predefined class names are limited to few elements. I'm using class
> names like "copyright" already and, like many other authors, I'm not
> only using it on p- and span-elements. It'd be confusing if some
> elements with class name X got a different meanign than special elements
> with class name X. Also It's unclear how elements with class names that
> aren't allowed on that element should be handled. Are they invalid or
> ignored. I think that part of the WA-Spec is very imature. (Adding new
> class names could be very chaotic very soon).
> The same problem is applying to class names that aren't yet predefined,
> but may become so in the future.

+1 ! We can't constraint now the classes, because we have 'don't break
the web' rule.

Anyway, if we use role, and if we begin to create a list of predefined
roles, we also need to create a rule to define new roles in a short
time (less than six month). For example, a new role could be defined
if two UA builders, with more than 5% market share ask for it. After a
two month RFC delay, the role would be added to the list.