Re: <table type="rowsortable">

You might want to take a look at this proposal that I made for Firefox'
directory listing:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=259884

It has sortable rows. The interesting parts are the "order" and
"order-by" attributes for tables and the "sortable-data" attribute for
table cells. I'd say something like that could be standardized.

Note that this was designed to work with Firefox trunk builds (Gecko
1.9); all other browsers will probably get something wrong there.

--Dao

Dailey, David P. wrote:
> Story: Among the options for students to work on for final projects in an undergraduate interface design class, I often include a project to build a web browser out of JavaScript. It's a somewhat silly project, since one pretty much has to already have a web browser to interpret one's JavaScript. When students ask "why?", I explain that maybe they can make a better browser -- one which improves the pages they look at in some way. I leave it open to them as to what "improve" means, since this is a course in interface design... but as examples I give the ability to shift click on an HTML tag and see its source code, the ability to alt-click on words and look up their meanings, or the ability for tables to act like e-mail clients that translate a click on a column head and sort the rows according to the datatype associated with that particular column (we may sort alphabetically by "from" or "subject" or chronologically by "date"). I recall when I first saw IBM's Lotus Notes (
which was the first place I saw column sorting in email) I thought -- "well of course." Now everybody does it.