Re: Proposed Design Principles updated

On Apr 3, 2007, at 10:07 PM, David Hyatt wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2007, at 6:56 PM, Karl Dubost wrote:
>

>> Le 3 avr. 2007 à 16:26, Maciej Stachowiak a écrit :
>>> * Constraint: Data-metadata inconsistency
>>> Agents MUST NOT ignore message metadata without the consent of
>>> the user.
>>> (The cited example of warning about or refusing to render a jpeg
>>> with a type of image/gif would violate Don't Break The Web and is
>>> unlikely to be implemented.)
>>
>> Another *real* example where browsers content sniffing is bad in
>> usability. For example, I'm writing a blog post about HTML design.
>> I want to show the source code of an HTML file. I then use an
>> object element and configure the server to send the html file as
>> *text/plain*
>>
>> <object data="test.html">
>> </object>
>>
>> What I want to see is the source code, not the HTML.
>
> There are better ways to accomplish this anyway, since browsers are
> capable of doing syntax-highlighted source.  Firefox supports
> viewsource URLs for this purpose.  WebKit in the latest nightlies
> uses an attribute that you can place on iframes in order to put the
> frame into "view source mode."
>
> dave

Neither of which are standardized behavior so you'd need to use the
attribute for Safari, the viewsource url for Firefox, and what ever
feature was supported in Opera (is it?).

What Karl suggests on the other hand is defined behavior as per the
HTTP protocol and the MIME type definition for text/plain.

I'm not sure we should be defining behavior that is against the well
accepted HTTP protocol and MIME type standards.