Re: style.background rendering - browser inconsistency

From: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 15:11:21 -0400
Cc: David Dailey <david.dailey@sru.edu>, public-html@w3.org
To: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
Err, I just reread the spec. and I was wrong. It states that the
shortest possible combination of properties should be returned that
give the same effect. So I suppose Opera and IE are right here?

Still, it has no rules on the order that I can find though.

""
When dealing with CSS "shorthand" properties, the shorthand
properties should be decomposed into their component longhand
properties as appropriate, and when querying for their value, the
form returned should be the shortest form exactly equivalent to the
declarations made in the ruleset. However, if there is no shorthand
declaration that could be added to the ruleset without changing in
any way the rules already declared in the ruleset (i.e., by adding
longhand rules that were previously not declared in the ruleset),
then the empty string should be returned for the shorthand property.

"" DOM2 Style spec.

- Elliott Sprehn