Re: <abbr>, <acronym> and initialisms

From: Olivier GENDRIN <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 11:01:09 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org

On 3/29/07, Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com> wrote:
> WWW is an abbreviation for World Wide Web.
> I tend to pronounce WWW as "double-u, double-u, double-u", so it is an
> initialism.
> Tim Berners-Lee and some others pronounce WWW as "wuh, wuh, wuh" (sp?),
> so to them it might be an acronym.

What about an attribute that could link to a prononciation file ? It
could be shapped like the <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />, allowing to link to an XML file
or a OGG.

For example : <abbr type="initialism"
prononciationGuide="http://www.example.com/tbl.ogg"
content="application/ogg">WWW</abbr>, or <abbr type="initialism"
prononciationGuide="http://www.example.com/tbl.xml"
content="application/xml">WWW</abbr>

This could be used by screen readers to make a correct render of the
abbreviation. But this is perhaps in the CSS range, throug phonemes
for example (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-speech/#phonemes).