Re: Naming Wiki Pages

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 03:25 -0400, Mike Schinkel wrote:
> Marcos Caceres wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Can people please name things properly on the Wiki... naming pages
> > "DeclWebFormExpr04"  is unhelpful. And please stop assigning numbers
> > to issues as it makes no sense to do so.
> > Kind regards,
> To the contrary; it is very helpful. I am the one doing the assignment
> of numbers. I followed the lead of the TAG from their issue list.[1].

Issue serial numbers suggest there's some mechanism that serializes
creation of issues. In the TAG, the charter says a majority-rule
decision is required to create an issue; that's the source of the
serial numbers.

A wiki doesn't naturally serialize creation of topics. (It could
be used that way, but it would be a stretch.) So I agree that if
ESW wiki topics are to be used to capture issues, they should not
have numbers. Note that ESW wiki topics do not belong
to this Working Group; they belong to the community at large.

To the extent we want to share write-access to our materials with
the world, it makes sense to use the ESW wiki, though it remains
to be seen how this interacts with email, our primary
communications mechanism.

Wiki topics naturally work well for capturing conventional wisdom.
For topics that are the subject of debate, a wiki can work, but
it involves more discipline and training than I'm interested in.

This group has not delegated creation of issues to any wiki process;
I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to let anyone in the world
add to our issues list.

I'm still maintaining an issues list.
  http://www.w3.org/html/wg/il16
It doesn't include everything that anyone has sent mail about,
but I suggest that this is a feature, not a bug.

> The benefit of assigning a sequential number is to make is very easy to
> do searches and get (almost) 100% relevant matches.  For example, try
> the following to searches:
>
>     http://www.google.com/search?q=AbbrAcronym
>     http://www.google.com/search?q=AbbrAcronym01
>
> I rest my case.  Of course if the chair(s) of this WG prefer me to do
> otherwise I will certainly acquiesce.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E