Re: [whatwg] Default (informal) Style Sheet

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 12:44:53 +0200
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "Sander Tekelenburg" <st@isoc.nl>, whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, public-html@w3.org

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 09:54:04 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
wrote:

Speaking of <hr>, having a default style for it would increase
interoperability (if only in the presentation layer) a great deal.
Defining what a <hr> *is* in terms of CSS would help people from having to
style it like this:

hr {
   border: none;
   background-color: #fff;
   color: #fff;
   line-height: 0;
   height: 0;
   padding: 0;
   margin: 0;
}

and *still* don't get anything remotely similar from any of the 4 major
browsers. Is an <hr> a border? A block-level element with a background
color? How do you change that color? How do you adjust its height? Its
margins?

> Not all authors will use a 'CSS zapper' (whatever it is). They will
> still expect the same results across user agents.

Thanks for saying that for me. I've never used a "CSS zapper" and I doubt
I ever will. I usually adjust paddings and margins to 0 on all elements,
but that's about it.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-        asbjorn@ulsberg.no