Re: [whatwg] Default (informal) Style Sheet

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 19:30:57 +0200
To: "Sander Tekelenburg" <st@isoc.nl>, whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, public-html@w3.org

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 20:16:12 +0200, Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl> wrote:
> Who are we (as spec definers) to decide that x is the only correct
> behaviour or presentation? And why should we want to stifle innovation
> by requiring
> some specific presentation?

Defining default rendering for certain constructs such as that the <body>
element has a default margin of 8px (iirc) is important for
interoperability reasons and for new UAs trying to enter the market (saves
them reverse engineering other UAs). A lot of web pages rely on default
rendering of elements. For instance, that an element such as <p> has a
default style of "display:block" as opposed to "display:none".

It is very important that UAs falling within the same conformance class
agree on these basic principles so authoring against those UAs becomes
more predictable and that developing a new UA doesn't involve as much
reverse engineering as it used to.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>