Re: Multipart response support

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 02:55:43 +0200
To: "Henrik Dvergsdal" <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>, public-html@w3.org

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:35:30 +0200, Henrik Dvergsdal
<henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no> wrote:

> What *is* something for the HTML WG, however, is to decide wether or not
> we should extend the syntax of some href and src attributes to accept
> references to attachments. Who else should make that kind of decisions?

If it isn't defined already, you should address it on the URI mailing
list: <uri@w3.org> - <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/>.

> I realize that everything that can be done with multipart responses can
> also be done with data URI's - at least in principle. The only problem
> is the size limitation and the reduced readability of the HTML document.

It might have a purpose, I agree, but not for all of the reasons you
enumerated (especially not the one about security). Microsoft's MHTML
format already implements what you're asking for, based on RFC-2387. See
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221787> for more information. I believe
the 'data' URI is a much better solution for the use-cases enumerated in
Microsoft's KB article, but nevertheless; there you have it.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-        asbjorn@ulsberg.no