Re: Let every element have a src attribute

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:40:40 +1000
To: Dao Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

Dao Gottwald wrote:
> .... which seems very plausible to me. Contrary to letting every element
> have a href attribute, it's backwards-compatible by design.
> Are there any plans to inherit [src on every element] from the XHTML2 working draft?

No.  Several implementers have already stated that overloading elements
like that would be extremely difficult to implement.  They already have
enough trouble with implementing <object> interoperably, let's not
extend those problems to every other element too.

These are some of the basic reasons:

* annoying to implement
* bad semanticly
* lack of img-specific API / attributes, presence of non-image API
* results on active elements like <input type="checkbox"> are bizzare
* conflates presentational technique of image replacement with
semantically meaningful content images

(Thanks to Maciej for that list)

There's some more information about the problem with overloading object
and global attributes in these articles.

http://annevankesteren.nl/2007/03/video
http://annevankesteren.nl/2007/03/href

--
Lachlan Hunt