VisibleMetadata

From: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:35:08 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org

The Design Principle:

[[
VisibleMetadata: Metadata is more effective when it is directly tied to
user-visible deta. Invisible metadata is often incorrect, out of date, or
intentionally deceptive. For example, <a> is more trustworthy as a
cross-reference than <link>. User-visible tags are more trustworthy than
]]

The first two statements are assertions that are true when they are true
and not when they are not.
Thus, I do not agree with these statements as a premise for a design principle.
I cannot agree with the example at all. I have used <link> to great effect
and have depended on it.
Also, <meta> has its place.

That's not to say that I don't feel some sympathy for what you are trying
to say here,
it's just that I can't agree with this design principle as written.

What problem is this trying to solve? It seems as though this is an attempt
to codify
some practice that is currently in vogue.

Regards,

Murray