Re: XML input control

From: Alexander Graf <a.graf@aetherworld.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:18:13 +0200
Cc: "Henrik Dvergsdal" <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>, public-html@w3.org
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

On 27.03.2007, at 14:58, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:54:38 +0200, Henrik Dvergsdal
> <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no> wrote:
>> OK, I guess you're right. What if we restrict it to the post
>> method and  the "multipart/form-data" Content type?
>
> Everyone can make arbitrary POST requests. By doing it from the
> commandline or if it really has to come from the page by running a
> bookmarklet or something that does some XMLHttpRequest magic.

+1

You absolutely HAVE to check any input from the user...

> Anyway, http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#accept
> should address what you ask for, although I think people will want
> to have a bit more control over how such an editor works.

+1

I say such a control is impossible. Not in the "I don't know how so I
say it's impossible" way but in the real "Not going to work"
impossible way. Assuming you create a fully working WYSIWYG editor
which can be styled (how? extensions to css as well? Sub-elements?)
and customized (with like 100 attributes ranging from
boldbutton="yes" to output="xhtml-strict") you're still not targeting
100% of users. Someone wants a feature which we didn't think of and
we're back to native control vs. JavaScript implementation vs. XUL
implementation...

Best,
Alex