Re: Deprecate <accronym> (was: Brainstorming - abbreviations)

From: Arthur Jennings <arthur.jennings@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:32:08 -0700
To: "Lee Roberts" <lee_roberts@roserockdesign.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
On 3/24/07, Lee Roberts <lee_roberts@roserockdesign.com> wrote:

> Previous standards were confusing and confused about <acronym> and <abbr>.
>
> As cited by Colin Lieberman:
>
> In HTML 4.01 :
> ABBR:
>     Indicates an abbreviated form (e.g., WWW, HTTP, URI, Mass., etc.).
> ACRONYM:
>     Indicates an acronym (e.g., WAC, radar, etc.).

> WWW as we all know represents World Wide Web.  How can this be an
> abbreviation when clearly it is an acronym?  In the example, the only two
> abbreviations that exist are Mass. and etc.; clearly Mass. is an
> abbreviation for Massachusetts and etc. is an abbreviation for etcetera.
> The remaining examples are acronyms.

WWW, HTTP an URI are initialisms not acronyms because they aren't pronounced
like words.

Acronymns do not need to make words.

Acronyms *do* need to make words:

http://www.answers.com/acronym&r=67:
 ac·ro·nym (ăk*'*rə-nĭm') [image: pronunciation]
*n.*

A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as *WAC* for *W*omen's
*A*rmy *C*orps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of
words, such as *radar* for *ra*dio *d*etecting *a*nd *r*anging.

Acronyms take letters from multiple words to create a shortened character
> set.

No, that's an initialism.

WAC in the acronym is not a word, however RADAR is.

WAC *is* a word; it's pronounced "whack".

> It would be best if we clear up confusions if we expect people to follow
> the
> examples and standards.
>
> Regards,
> Lee Roberts