Doctypes and the dialects of HTML 5

From: Daniel Schattenkirchner <schattenkirchner.daniel@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:55:58 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org

Hello,

from an authors point of view I was wondering how HTML5 will handle
doctypes (I hope we all know why they are important).

Even if Web Applications 1.0 becomes HTML5 I don't think it can keep
"<!DOCTYPE html>" because it probably needs versioning in it. The public
"-//W3C//DTD HTML 5.0//EN" comes to my mind.

However, I was actually wondering wether there'll be one doctype for the
SGML and XML dialects of HTML5, or one for each dialect, which could
result from different naming (XHTML5?).
I personally prefer one doctype for both as more than one doctype could
confuse many authors. This already happend in HTML 4: You can often see
that the actual documents in a frameset wear the Frameset-doctype as well.