Re: Leading the Forefront - with IRC ! ?

From: Matthew Ratzloff <matt@builtfromsource.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:31:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: public-html@w3.org

On Fri, March 23, 2007 4:05 pm, ryan king wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2007, at 2:24 PM, Matthew Ratzloff wrote:
>> I frankly don't care about your personal lives (no offense ;-), but an
>> XMPP (Jabber) server would be preferable to IRC.
> Why would it be preferable?
> -ryan

Well, I outlined some of the broader points briefly in the part that you
cut out.

"In addition to a web-based chat interface, accessible without installing
any software, people can connect via a number of messenger programs that
they may already use (Gaim, Trillian, Spark, Adium, Google Talk, etc.)."

There are a whole host of features that are nice.  If someone logs in 30
minutes after everyone else, they can still see what's been discussed

Jabber uses SSL and has SASL authentication.  I imagine it can be linked
to our W3 logins.  It can also allow anonymous use.  Whatever is

IRC servers are security nightmares.  Installing a Jabber server is a much
safer alternative.

Ah, here's a page that is better at advocating it than I am: