Re: Leading the Forefront - with IRC ! ?

From: Matthew Ratzloff <matt@builtfromsource.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:31:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: public-html@w3.org

On Fri, March 23, 2007 4:05 pm, ryan king wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2007, at 2:24 PM, Matthew Ratzloff wrote:
>> I frankly don't care about your personal lives (no offense ;-), but an
>> XMPP (Jabber) server would be preferable to IRC.
>
> Why would it be preferable?
>
> -ryan

Well, I outlined some of the broader points briefly in the part that you
cut out.

"In addition to a web-based chat interface, accessible without installing
any software, people can connect via a number of messenger programs that
they may already use (Gaim, Trillian, Spark, Adium, Google Talk, etc.)."

There are a whole host of features that are nice.  If someone logs in 30
minutes after everyone else, they can still see what's been discussed
previously.

Jabber uses SSL and has SASL authentication.  I imagine it can be linked
to our W3 logins.  It can also allow anonymous use.  Whatever is
preferable.

IRC servers are security nightmares.  Installing a Jabber server is a much
safer alternative.

Ah, here's a page that is better at advocating it than I am:
http://www.malkier.net/xmpp/xmppirc.php

-Matt