Re: Deprecate <acronym>

From: liorean <liorean@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:23:51 +0100
To: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On 23/03/07, Rene Saarsoo <nene@triin.net> wrote:
> As Google only lists top 19 most used elements, which
> doesn't include neither abbr nor acronym, I can provide
> the results of my own little survey [1], which shows,
> that acronym is a bit more popular than abbr:

Due to ie6w not supporting abbr, I bet. If only a quarter of the users
(at best) had support for an element, I'd chose to use an
almost-equivalent too, at least on any larger user facing site.

> Of course, they both are quite unpopular and
> there's quite a bit of noise in my research at
> that level of granularity, but hopefully this
> data provides some insight.
>
> Not that I'm in favor of acronym, but the popularity
> is certainly one aspect to consider.

That abbr come in at that high usage numbers compared to acronym
despite the lack of support is something I would consider a vote in
favour of it.
--
David "liorean" Andersson