Re: WYSIWYM editors

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:32:11 +0900
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org
Daniel Glazman schreef:
>> People like your father don’t create web pages with NVU, get an
>> account with a provider, and use FTP to upload their pages there;
>> they create a page on Myspace, or post their content on forums.
>
> On the contrary, he does use Nvu, and uploads his pages using the
> builtin site manager. You'd be surprised to know how many non-tech
> people use Nvu for that purpose.

Ok, I misphrased that. I did not want to say that there are not many
‘laymam’ people using WYSIWYG/M (now I don’t know which to use… is
WYSIWYG suddenly derogatory? :)) editors and uploading their pages. What
I wanted to say that there’s just this incredible amount of people who
have never touched a WYSIWYG HTML editor, yet still put huge amounts of
content on the web on a daily basis, through simple web forms and plain
text editing.

I think in terms of sheer amount of content, this far exceeds the number
of people who do author HTML pages directly.

> The vast majority of HTML authors are... email users. Zillions of
> them are composing "rich emails" without even knowing it's HTML inside.

*fervent nod*!

Ok, if you consider email, too, maybe the HTML authored pages win after
all :). But the semantics situation for email is even worse than it is
for web pages! *grin*

~Grauw