Re: [whatwg] Video proposals

From: Robert Brodrecht <w3c@robertdot.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 00:25:16 -0700
To: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>

On Mar 15, 2007, at 11:40 PM, Laurens Holst wrote:

> Correct me if Iím wrong, but I donít think there is a single reason
> why the browser couldnít play back content embedded with an
> <object> tag, like itís supposed to. Whatís more, that would allow
> it to work with existing web content, too. Plus itís backwards
> compatible.

I'm quite certain that the video element was meant to fight things
like Flash because it would offer cross-platform video easily through
an open codec.  Currently, Flash is the closest thing we have to
cross-platform video.  Flash is a closed, proprietary, expensive
technology.  Theora is an open, free technology.  The video element
is an ideological addition that would allow fallback.  It could
easily fall back to an object element during the transition into
browser support, which would be backward compatible with HMTL 4.

Video on the web is difficult.  In this day, it shouldn't be.

Robert <http://robertdot.org>