Brainstorming - abbreviations

From: Colin Lieberman <colin@cactusflower.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:55:53 -0700
To: public-html@w3.org

I know some folks oppose the xhtml 2 plan to get rid of <acronym>, but
are two tags really necessary?

I think more useful would be an attribute to <abbr> that indicates to
user agents whether the abbreviation is meant to be spoken as initials
or as a word. There could be an additional optional attribute for some
other pronunciation:

<abbr title="World Wide Web Consortium" type="initial">W3C</abbr>

<abbr title="Completely Automated Public Turing Test to Tell Computers
and Humans Apart" type="word">CAPCHA</abbr>

<abbr title="Structured Query Language" type="custom"
pronounce="sequel">SQL</abbr>