Re: Whoah There, Turbo (and market share threshold, and charter changes)

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:56:43 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>, public-html@w3.org

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 07:53 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, David Hyatt wrote:
> >
> > My interpretation of what constitutes a browser vendor is based off the
> > Success Criteria section of the charter:
> >
> > "The HTML Working Group's work will be considered a success if there are
> > two independent complete and interoperable implementations of its
> > deliverable that are widely used (more than 10% of the Web browser
> > market each according to at least two widely recognized metric reporting
> > organizations)."
> As others have noted, the W3C team silently made this criteria qualitative
> instead of quantitative at the last minute. Why the team made this
> decision is not public, but it seems fishy to me.

Well, the chartering process was pretty messy, yes.

But actually, why the team made this decision *is* public.

 "We strongly object to the 10% market share threshold in the
 Success Criteria."
  -- Apple's advice to W3C,
  quoted in the webkit weblog January 17th, 2007

The comments include additional discussion.

That conversation was somewhat unofficial, but it is public.

(There's an official disposition of comments that is
W3C member-confidential.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2007JanMar/0061.html )

>  How could we consider
> this work a success if less than 10% of the market uses it? The reason the
> W3C joined the HTML5 effort was specifically because the previous efforts
> -- namely XHTML -- had failed to gain traction. Why wouldn't we want a
> measurable goal?
> Oh well.

Yeah; as far as the charter goes, oh well.

When we actually do make a request for Proposed Recommendation status,
I still hope we will have a compelling argument, based on widely
used statistics, that the spec is compatible with existing practice.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E