Re: brainstorming: test cases, issues, goals, etc.

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:45:28 +0000 (UTC)
To: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Laurens Holst wrote:

> > How would you handle such interdependencies? (They run deep in the
> > WHATWG specification text, and are, in my opinion, unavoidable,
> > assuming we want to write realistic specifications that match existing
> > implementations.)
>
> I don’t know the spec well enough to answer that question, but I’d
> say modularisation (if I may call it so) would make it both easier to
> grasp as individual chunks, for both the reviewing process and the
> implementing process.

In principle I agree with you, but saying it would be nice doesn't make it
happen. I tried really hard to keep different parts of the WHATWG spec
independent, but in the end I couldn't, because these things really are
tightly linked.

(I've noted your feedback on the WHATWG spec and will get to it in due
course. Thanks!)