Re: HTML/XML TF report introductory text

I'm not sure why this thread is so wary of linking to the actual specs.

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Robert Leif <rleif@rleif.com> wrote:
> In short, we need to state that the only purpose of the DOCTYPE declaration
> is to communicate to the browser the format of the document.

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/syntax.html#the-doctype

- defines the doctype string in text/html as a legacy-encumbered
rendering mode switch.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-prolog-dtd

- defines what an XML doctype declaration is.

> This leads to the question, what should one put in the first line for an XHTML5 page?

This question is answered in the spec.

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-xhtml-syntax.html#writing-xhtml-documents

- says that XML documents using the XHTML vocabulary may have an XML
doctype but it's not required to conform to the HTML5 spec.

The question can be rephrased "what should one put in the first line
for an XML page", since XHTML is just an XML vocabulary. (The answer
depends on your circumstances, e.g. it could be a version declaration,
a comment, a document type declaration, the root element, whitespace,
etc.)

> The problem is that it is probably not economically feasible under the
> present circumstances to create a full schema that describes html5
> and thus provides xhtml5, which would then use <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> or
> similar statement. Therefore, essentially some sort of add-on is needed to
> extend html5 to provide the functionality of xhtml5.

What are you talking about?

If you're asking for a schema for XHTML5, there's no official schema
for XHTML5 but unofficial schemas are being used by the validator.

   http://about.validator.nu/

   https://bitbucket.org/validator/syntax/src/908b343f782e/relaxng/xhtml5.rnc

So for some value of "full" that takes into account the limitations of
schema languages, this is demonstrably "economically feasible".

If you're asking for something else, what is it?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis