RE: HTML/XML TF report introductory text

David et al.

XMLSpy does. When one creates a new HTML5 document, it produces <!DOCTYPE
html>

http://www.w3schools.com/html5/tag_doctype.asp

Definition and Usage

The <!DOCTYPE> declaration must be the very first thing in your HTML5
document, before the <html> tag.

The doctype declaration is not an HTML tag; it is an instruction to the web
browser about what version of the markup language the page is written in.

Tip: Always specify the doctype in your HTML documents, so that the browser
knows what type of document to expect.

The HTML 4.01 doctypes require a reference to a DTD, because HTML 4.01 was
based on SGML. HTML5 is not based on SGML, and therefore does not require a
reference to a DTD. HTML5 needs the doctype so that browsers display the
content correctly (and equally).

W3C HTML5 differences from HTML4 http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/

W3C Working Draft 25 May 2011

HTML5 also defines detailed parsing rules (including "error handling") for
this syntax which are largely compatible with popular implementations. User
agents must use these rules for resources that have the text/html media
type. Here is an example document that conforms to the HTML syntax:

<!doctype html>

  <head>

    <title>Example document</title>

  </head>

http://www.my-html-codes.com/html5-doctype

HTML5 Doctype

Now for something beautiful. This is all you have to use for HTML5.

<!DOCTYPE html>

>From a Google search (html5 doctype), this appears to be the consensus. The
browser needs to be told on what it is working.

Bob Leif