Re: Friction and cross pollination

Hi all,

sorry I just missed the call, I somehow got distracted and didn't see IRC bounce. Looks like it would've been just Norm and I swapping Words With Friends tricks anyway.

On Oct 4, 2011, at 15:57 , Norman Walsh wrote:
> Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> writes:
>> Here goes. As always: comments, tweaks, screams, etc. welcome!
>>
>> """
>> This Task Force believes that while complete alignment between the
>> HTML and XML families may not be achievable or indeed desirable there
>> are nevertheless areas in which cross-pollination between those two
>> stacks could help improve either or both. Now that the delineation of
>> these techonologies' respective domains have stabilised it would be
>> more foolish than ever that these communities behave as warring
>> factions while closed, proprietary formats still abound. Despite the
>> important design differences that exist between HTML and XML their
>> goals are not as divided as our mailing lists suggest, and one can
>> still share experience regarding the production of round wheels
>> irrespective of the rail track gauge.
>
> I'd wordsmith that a bit:
>
>  This Task Force believes that while complete alignment between the
>  HTML and XML families may not be achievable, there are nevertheless
>  areas in which cross-pollination between those two stacks could help
>  improve either or both. Despite the important design differences
>  that exist between HTML and XML, their goals are not as divided as
>  some of the stormier rhetoric suggests. There are plenty of areas of
>  common experience despite significant differences in the details.

That's probably a lot more readable than my version :)

>>    • Defining an XSLT and XQuery serialisation for polyglot HTML.
>> Usage: make it trivial to produce it with a regular XML tool chain.
>> [ed. I thought that this had been done, but I can't seem to find it
>> anywhere]
>
> [ It's on my plate, I think :-/ ]

Ah, good, I'll know who to annoy.

> Some of these projects appeal to me more than others, but is there
> a consensus on any (sub)set of them?

Some of these projects don't appeal to me much. The criterion I used to pick them is that it's "there" and I can imagine a world in which something useful may come from the task. The idea is more to whet the reader's imagination and fire up her code-lust, not to prescribe a list of things that are necessarily good ideas.