Re: [cowan@mercury.ccil.org: Questions about HTML void elements]

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:01:27 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: public-html-xml@w3.org
Anne van Kesteren scripsit:

> It certainly looks appealing, but you still have to remember all the void
> elements anyway otherwise you might inadvertently insert content. And
> people will be get confused about what happens to <hr>TEST</hr> and such.

If you try to put content inside an hr element, you either do not
understand the hr element or do not understand what content is, so no
rules simple or complicated will help you.  I'm interested in HTML5
validity, so I use a blacklist of elements which get empty-tags, and
allow everything else to simply use a start-tag/end-tag combination.

--
At the end of the Metatarsal Age, the dinosaurs     John Cowan
abruptly vanished. The theory that a single         cowan@ccil.org