Re: XML payloads in feeds (was: Re: Use cases)

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 10:15:44 -0500
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: public-html-xml@w3.org
Henri Sivonen scripsit:

> Now, if someone really wants to put arbitrary XML in a feed item
> description, that person should use Atom since RSS 2.0 doesn't support
> arbitrary XML descriptions. But there's no guarantee that anyone
> cares to write feed consumers that do anything useful with non-Web
> vocabulary Atom descriptions, so the pragmatic answer is to transform
> the XML vocabulary into (X)HTML/SVG/MathML for publication.

Google Data feeds are Atom, and they definitely contain non-HTML;
indeed, except for Blogger I can't think of a single one that contains
any HTML at all.  Granted that data is not a typical use for Atom, it's
not unheard-of either.  LexisNexis is also using Atom for both data and
documents, both of which are in plain XML.  (Claimer: I used to work on
one, and I'm now working on the other.)

If you have ever wondered if you are in hell,         John Cowan
it has been said, then you are on a well-traveled     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
road of spiritual inquiry.  If you are absolutely     cowan@ccil.org
sure you are in hell, however, then you must be
on the Cross Bronx Expressway.          --Alan Feuer, NYTimes, 2002-09-20