Re: Understanding HTML5 parsing

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 19:30:40 +0100
To: "Kurt Cagle" <kurt.cagle@gmail.com>
Cc: "Norman Walsh" <ndw@nwalsh.com>, public-html-xml@w3.org
On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 19:14:56 +0100, Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Anne, what's the html5 parser behavior for <a:foo bar="bat" b:bin="beer"
> xmlns:a="nsa" xmlns:b="nsb">text</a:foo>? How would that be interpreted?

If you try http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/ in a
recent nightly of Gecko or Chrome it is easy to find out. (Although I
suppose it does not explicitly list the namespace of attributes as they
are almost always in no namespace. Only in SVG and MathML context is this
different and only for a limited amount of scenarios.)

You get an element "a:foo" in no namespace with four attributes named
"bar", "b:bin", "xmlns:a", and "xmlns:b", also all in no namespace with
the values you specified. The contents of the element are a single text
node with as value "text".

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/