Re: Use cases

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 13:47:29 -0500
To: Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-html-xml@w3.org
Kurt Cagle scripsit:

> Wasn't one of the key conditions on the HTML5/XHTML5 split the fact that
> XHTML5 would be supported anywhere HTML5 would be? I may be wrong on this,
> this was just my impression.

Up to a point.  TagSoup is not going to evolve into an XML parser
(even a lax one), despite pressure from users to do so.  Currently,
it doesn't even understand namespace declarations.  I will probably add
that the next time I get some cycles, along with the namespace-inducing
behavior of the "math" and "svg" elements.

Still, there is nothing to prevent an application from deciding whether to use
TagSoup (or any HTML parser) or an XML parser, based on its own criteria.

> Simply because a couple of browser vendors thinks the world revolves around
> HTML doesn't mean that the rest of the world does.

Simply because a few thousand XML weenies think the world revolves around
XML doesn't mean that the Real World contains, to a first approximation,
anything but HTML.  :-)

--
While staying with the Asonu, I met a man from      John Cowan
the Candensian plane, which is very much like       cowan@ccil.org