Re: HTML5 output method

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 15:05:02 -0500
To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-html-xml@w3.org
Michael Kay scripsit:

> That's not correct. The XSLT 2.0 / XQuery 1.0 serialization
> specification is prescriptive about what prefix should be used.

Ah, I didn't know that: my knowledge of XSLT2 is very limited.

> Moreover, you can't "use xmlns attributes exclusively and never generate
> a prefix" if there are namespaced attributes such as xlink:href.

True.

> None of this, of course, stops us defining an HTML5 serialization
> method. Doing so requires many detailed questions to be resolved, but
> they are tactical questions, and I'm not sure it's productive for this
> TF to address them - we should be more concerned with strategy/policy.

I'm not at all sure of that; I myself am more interested in details
than in strategy and policy.

> Not so: for example the XSLT 2.0 HTML output method says "The HTML
> output method MUST NOT perform escaping for the content of the script
> and style elements."

Again, thanks for the XSLT2 correction.

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org   http://ccil.org/~cowan
"The exception proves the rule."  Dimbulbs think: "Your counterexample proves