EXI

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:13:53 +0100
To: public-html-xml@w3.org
Hey,

so as most here probably know, EXI is nearing completion (PR, waiting for Rec). It provides some neat improvements in speed and compression over the likes of gzip and friends, but you probably know all that.

Since it operates on trees, there's no reason it couldn't be applied to HTML. Given today's central importance of performance in Web content, I think that this just might be something to look at  especially in a mobile context.

My question for this here group is whether this is just an application of the "using XML tools on HTML" use case or if it requires a little more than that. What makes me wonder if there might be more is that we're working with some form of round-tripping here. Or rather, we're putting EXI as an intermediate step between HTML and the in-UA DOM. And if this TF wants to dig a little further, there are probably also specific settings to recommend to apply EXI to HTML nicely.

But I can't make my mind up. WDYT?

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/