Re: html elements in foreign markup.

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:47:17 +0000
To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
CC: public-html-xml@w3.org
On 22/12/2010 17:23, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Is the motivation for this decision just the existence of some legacy
> content with a<math>  element?

yes there are a couple (or couple of thousand, I don't really know, an
insignificantly small number compared to the current and future size of
the html corpus) of sites that have used <math> not for mathml but just
to surround a bit of html. The html5 parser noves the content out of
math so it still sort of half works, although if the math element had
been used to css-style the html-marked mathematics, then of course that
styling no longer works as the content is no longer in the math element.
  Making such sites using invalid markup half work, at the cost of
making natural well formed markup not only invalid but completely
rearranged and broken, has nothing really to recommend it as far as I
can see.

David