Re: What problem is this task force trying to solve and why?

On Dec 21, 2010, at 02:49, James Clark wrote:

>>>  BTW, I don't agree with Henri that this is out of order.  It is about embedding XML in HTML, and so is absolutely central to the work of this TF.
>>
>> Agree, but that means we're talking about "HTML6"
>>
> Agree.  I am keen that we do talk about HTML6/HTML.next and don't restrict ourselves to HTML5 (where I agree the scope for change is very limited).

From the point of view of software that doesn't freeze IE-style snapshots of the engine, an implementation of HTML.next would simply gradually replace the implementation of HTML5 (and the HTML5 implementation probably won't even be complete by the time HTML.next features start coming in), so in that sense, talking about HTML.next and talking about HTML5 would still both mean talking about simply HTML implementation-wise and HTML.next is subject to the same backwards-compatibility constraints as HTML5.

Wrapping up HTML5 mainly has Patent Policy and public relations effects. Those are important things, sure, but wrapping up HTML5 doesn't change the technical constraints.

> Larry Masinter had a really excellent set of slides at TPAC on HTML.next
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2010/11/TPAC/HTMLnext-perspectives.pdf

I don't consider Larry's slides or the session at TPAC excellent. The formula of the slides is that choice "a)" is a caricature of a WHATWG attitude and choice "b)" tries to be something that at first sight looks reasonable enough that as a knee-jerk reaction the people in the TPAC room wouldn't disagree with "b)". (The exception is the modularity slide where "a)" and "b)" are swapped.) However, many of the choices are false dichotomies or mischaracterizations. I think generating controversy by presenting false dichotomies and caricatures isn't productive.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi