XML Data Islands

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:34:11 +0000
To: public-html-xml@w3.org
On 20/12/2010 03:56, James Clark wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi
> <mailto:hsivonen@iki.fi>> wrote:
>
>     What problem is this task force trying to solve and why?
>

> I understand our goal is "convergence" HTML of XML.  What would
> constitute convergence?

Can I ask: what's the status of "XML data islands" in HTML5? By which I
mean an <xml> element inside an HTML document, containing arbitrary XML,
creating nodes on the DOM tree, but having no effect on the rendered
page unless some user-defined script chooses to render it?

How much would they help, and what difficulties would they create?

I'm sure this has been discussed (probably ad nauseam) in the HTML5
community; it would be nice to have a summary.

Michael Kay