W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-wg-announce@w3.org > January to March 2012

[minutes] HTML WG telecon 2012-02-16: issue progress

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:36:03 -0500
Message-ID: <4F3D3E83.1040608@intertwingly.net>
To: "public-html-wg-announce@w3.org" <public-html-wg-announce@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2012/02/16-html-wg-minutes.html

                       HTML Weekly Teleconference

16 Feb 2012

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2012JanMar/0015.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/02/16-html-wg-irc

Attendees

    Present
    Regrets
    Chair
           SV_MEETING_CHAIR

    Scribe
           rubys

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]ACTION items due by Thursday, February 16
          2. [6]New Issues This Week
          3. [7]Items Closed Last Week
          4. [8]Items Closing This Week
          5. [9]Items Closing Next Week
          6. [10]New Calls this week
          7. [11]New Surveys this week
          8. [12]Decisions this week
          9. [13]Other Business
         10. [14]re-open request for issue 31
         11. [15]Request to Reconsider Meta Generator Alt Exception
         12. [16]i18n WG position on Issue-172 "restore <rb> as an
             optional element"
         13. [17]Change proposal reviews
         14. [18]Chair and Scribe for next meeting
         15. [19]Adjournment
      * [20]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

    <trackbot> Date: 16 February 2012

ACTION items due by Thursday, February 16

    paulc: none

    <scribe> scribe: rubys

New Issues This Week

    issue-204?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-204 -- Exempt ARIA attributes from the rule that
    prohibits reference to hidden elements -- open

    <trackbot> [21]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

      [21] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

    paulc: split off issue 30

    issue-205?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-205 -- Define what author guidance and/or methods
    should be provided to those that wish to create accessible text
    editors using canvas as a rendering surface. -- open

    <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/205

      [22] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/205

    paulc: split off issue 131, simplifying that issue

    issue-80?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-80 -- document conformance and device dependent
    display of title attribute content -- open

    <trackbot> [23]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/80

      [23] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/80

    reopened:
    [24]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0105.htm
    l

      [24] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0105.html

    paulc: one tracker request (escallation on a non-last call item)

    <paulc_>
    [25]http://w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?product=HTML+WG&keywords=T
    rackerRequest

      [25] 
http://w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?product=HTML+WG&keywords=TrackerRequest

    paulc: chairs are prioritizing last-call items first, we have not
    processed this request

Items Closed Last Week

    judy: I have comments on 204

    paulc: go ahead

    judy: Janina and I are requesting a co-ordination call with you
    (paulc) on the split of issue-30 and the timing

    paulc: can you put a link in the minutes to the concerns?

    judy: it would be valuable to have a call

    paulc: I will check my calendar

    judy: if you aren't available, I would appreciate meeting with at
    least one of the co-chairs

    paulc: send us an email, and we will find a slot that works

    issue-172?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-172 -- restore <rb> as an optional element -- open

    <trackbot> [26]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/172

      [26] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/172

    issue-183?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-183 -- Enhance and simplify the time element --
    open

    <trackbot> [27]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/183

      [27] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/183

    issue-184?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-184 -- Add a data element -- open

    <trackbot> [28]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/184

      [28] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/184

    three call for alternate proposals above closed on Feb 11

    issue-131?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-131 -- Should we add a caret location API to
    canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? -- open

    <trackbot> [29]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

      [29] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

    issue-179?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-179 -- {audio,video} require param child (or
    equivalent) -- open

    <trackbot> [30]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/179

      [30] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/179

    both call for proposals closed Feb 11

    paulc: this agenda doesn't cover items that closed yesterday (or
    today)
    ... if there are no change proposals, expect the issue to be closed.
    If there are no counters, expect a call for consensus

Items Closing This Week

    issue-193?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-193 -- Remove CSS example that promotes
    inaccessible content -- open

    <trackbot> [31]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/193

      [31] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/193

    issue-194?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-194 -- Provide a mechanism for associating a full
    transcript with an audio or video element. -- open

    <trackbot> [32]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

      [32] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

    issue-195?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-195 -- Enhance http request generation from forms
    -- raised

    <trackbot> [33]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/195

      [33] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/195

    issue-196?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-196 -- Define user agent http response handling
    behaviour -- raised

    <trackbot> [34]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/196

      [34] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/196

    issue-197?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-197 -- Accept attribute should allow file
    extensions in addition to the current allowed values -- open

    <trackbot> [35]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/197

      [35] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/197

    paulc: all the above closed yesterday

    issue-182?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-182 -- Advice in spec about annotations promotes
    inaccessible content -- open

    <trackbot> [36]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/182

      [36] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/182

    issue-185?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-185 -- Drop the pubdate attribute -- open

    <trackbot> [37]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/185

      [37] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/185

    issue-188?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-188 -- Text tracks in HTML should be defined in a
    way agnostic of the specific caption format -- open

    <trackbot> [38]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/188

      [38] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/188

    issue-189?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-189 -- Prefix convention needs to be coordinated
    with IETF -- open

    <trackbot> [39]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/189

      [39] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/189

    issue-198?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-198 -- Ensure innerHTML and related APIs are
    subject to the W3C patent policy -- raised

    <trackbot> [40]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/198

      [40] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/198

    issue-199?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-199 -- Define complete processing requirements for
    ARIA attributes -- raised

    <trackbot> [41]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/199

      [41] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/199

    issue-200?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-200 -- Allow wrapping LEGEND (or new iLEGEND) in
    non-FIELDSET elements -- raised

    <trackbot> [42]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/200

      [42] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/200

    issue-201?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-201 -- Provide canvas location and hit testing
    capability to fallback content -- open

    <trackbot> [43]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/201

      [43] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/201

    issue-202?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-202 -- Missing alt should not be considered
    conforming in the presence of figcaptions over 50 words in length --
    raised

    <trackbot> [44]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/202

      [44] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/202

    issue-203?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-203 -- All Media Elements should have the ability
    to have both short and longer textual descriptions associated to the
    element -- raised

    <trackbot> [45]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

      [45] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

    paulc: the above closes today

    <Judy> With reference to agendum # 1 above, and the request to meet
    w/ Paul or another Co-Chair regarding procedural concerns about new
    issue #204, background is in Text Subteam minutes, with notes
    following "30: Longdesc"
    [46]http://www.w3.org/2012/02/14-text-minutes.html#item01

      [46] http://www.w3.org/2012/02/14-text-minutes.html#item01

Items Closing Next Week

    issue-187?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-187 -- Document conformance has to be stable over
    the time -- open

    <trackbot> [47]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/187

      [47] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/187

    issue-190?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-190 -- Replace poor coding example for figure with
    multiple images -- open

    <trackbot> [48]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/190

      [48] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/190

    issue-191?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-191 -- Replace/complement <ins> and <del> elements
    by a cleaner wysiwyg-safe attribute-based solution -- open

    <trackbot> [49]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/191

      [49] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/191

    issue-192?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-192 -- title attribute definition does not match
    reality -- open

    <trackbot> [50]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/192

      [50] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/192

    paulc: these four close Feb 23

New Calls this week

    issue-80?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-80 -- document conformance and device dependent
    display of title attribute content -- open

    <trackbot> [51]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/80

      [51] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/80

    paulc: this was reopened, and as we got a change proposal, we have
    issued a call for alternate or counter proposals closing March 14

    issue-131?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-131 -- Should we add a caret location API to
    canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? -- open

    <trackbot> [52]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

      [52] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

    paulc: we have proposals, so we have issued a call for alternate or
    counters, also closing on march 14th

    issue-158?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-158 -- HTML4's content-model for <object> should
    continue -- open

    <trackbot> [53]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/158

      [53] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/158

    paulc: also closed on March 14th

    issue-204?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-204 -- Exempt ARIA attributes from the rule that
    prohibits reference to hidden elements -- open

    <trackbot> [54]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

      [54] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

    paulc: we granted until March 10th to provide a proposal

    issue-205?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-205 -- Define what author guidance and/or methods
    should be provided to those that wish to create accessible text
    editors using canvas as a rendering surface. -- open

    <trackbot> [55]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/205

      [55] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/205

    paulc: call for alternate or counter proposals closes march 14th

New Surveys this week

    paulc: there are none

Decisions this week

    paulc: there are none

Other Business

    [56]http://www.w3.org/QA/2012/02/openweb-weekly-27.html

      [56] http://www.w3.org/QA/2012/02/openweb-weekly-27.html

    paulc: this is nearly two weeks old, there may be a more recent one

re-open request for issue 31

    [57]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0139.htm
    l

      [57] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0139.html

    paulc: we originally could not find new information, and the a11y
    task force is working on a revised version

    janina: we have a strong interest in having this taken up again; the
    proposal has significantly been beefed up.
    ... unclear that this was dealt with appropriately originally
    ... we are now pointing to the original decision to justify the
    reopening

    <paulc_> Revised request is in:
    [58]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/movealt

      [58] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/movealt

    janina: we should have a email to the chairs and wg by monday

Request to Reconsider Meta Generator Alt Exception

    paulc: the chairs have reviewed this request and will be responding
    today

i18n WG position on Issue-172 "restore <rb> as an optional element"

    [59]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0103.htm
    l

      [59] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0103.html

    [60]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0197.htm
    l

      [60] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0197.html

    paulc: chairs want to make it clear what the next status is

Change proposal reviews

    issue-30?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-30 -- Should HTML 5 include a longdesc attribute
    for images -- open

    <trackbot> [61]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/30

      [61] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/30

    paulc: we have having a dialog with Laura on 30

    issue-170?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-170 -- make URIs valid link relations -- open

    <trackbot> [62]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/170

      [62] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/170

    paulc: we are having dialogs with the authors of the proposals on
    170

    issue-134?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-134 -- Provide tablist and tab states for menu and
    command elements respectively -- open

    <trackbot> [63]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/134

      [63] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/134

    paulc: the chairs are having dialogs with the various authors and
    the WG can expect more

    janina: Thanks for 134, I am concerned about recent developments
    around longdesc, this is not just Laura's proposal but a TaskForce
    backed proposal
    ... we are disappointed that a split off happened based on ARIA, it
    would have been helpful to have been coordinating that more closely

    paulc: janina is repeating judy's concerns about issue 204
    ... the feedback on 30 was to put the material relevant to the
    change proposal in the proposal itself

    judy: there appears to have been changes in the advice over time
    over this
    ... in the past, we were advised to put in links; perhaps we could
    get more uniform guidance?

    paulc: the underlying principle is to help the CP authors to make
    their case as possible; in this case we found some arguments that we
    thought the author could use to make their proposal stronger; if the
    authors don't wish to make their proposal stronger, that's their
    choice.

    judy: I'm hearing that you prefer all of the text to be a single
    page?

    paulc: we review each on their merits, and in this case we thought
    this particular proposal would be improved by making this specific
    text into the base text.
    ... any other business to raise?

Chair and Scribe for next meeting

    paulc: Maciej likely will be the chair

    glenn: I can scribe

Adjournment
Received on Thursday, 16 February 2012 17:36:40 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 19 February 2014 13:57:52 UTC