W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-wg-announce@w3.org > January to March 2011

{minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-10: Action items, issues, surveys and decisions

From: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 02:53:11 +0000
To: "public-html-wg-announce@w3.org" <public-html-wg-announce@w3.org>
Message-ID: <E3EACD022300B94D88613639CF4E25F818742F45@TK5EX14MBXC134.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
The minutes for the Mar 10 HTML WG weekly teleconference can be found below and at:



http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html



/paulc


Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329


[Description: W3C]<http://www.w3.org/>

- DRAFT -
HTML Weekly Teleconference
10 Mar 2011

Agenda<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2011JanMar/0021.html>

Attendees
Present
Regrets
Chair
paulc
Scribe
rubys
Contents

  *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   ACTION items due by Thursday, March 10<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item01>
     *   New Issues This Week<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item02>
     *   Items Closed Last Week<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item03>
     *   Items Closing This Week<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item04>
     *   Items Closing Next Week<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item05>
     *   New Calls this week<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item06>
     *   New Surveys this week<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item07>
     *   Decisions this week<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item08>
     *   Other Business<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item09>
     *   Chair and Scribe for next meeting<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item10>
     *   Adjournment<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item11>
  *   Summary of Action Items<http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

________________________________

trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Date: 10 March 2011

<scribe> scribenick: rubys

<pimpbot> Title: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-10: Action items, issues, surveys and decisions from Paul Cotton on 2011-03-08 (public-html-wg-announce@w3.org from January to March 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

<paulc> Julian: What time zone are you in?

<Julian> paulc, indeed UTC+0100

<paulc> To participants in Europe: Please be aware that North America goes on Daylight Savings (move the clocks forward one hour) on Sun Mar 13
ACTION items due by Thursday, March 10

action-193?

<trackbot> ACTION-193 -- Philippe Le Hégaret to and co-chairs to investigate how to handle standardization of websrt -- due 2011-03-10 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/193

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-193: And co-chairs to investigate how to handle standardization of websrt - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

plh: my intention was to talk to the VPAC committee within the FCC, that was done yesterday (briefly)
... we expressed a concern that their actions would cause multiple formats on the web
... they intend to meet again in two weeks, but it will likely take 2-3 months to resolve

paulc: I suggest we move the action out a month

action-193 due april 14

<trackbot> ACTION-193 And co-chairs to investigate how to handle standardization of websrt due date now april 14
New Issues This Week

issue-163?

<trackbot> ISSUE-163 -- Need a means for navigating between related timed tracks of media elements -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/163

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-163: Need a means for navigating between related timed tracks of media elements - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: this is a last call issue
... will not be pushing this any sooner than the may timeframe
Items Closed Last Week

issue-9?

<trackbot> ISSUE-9 -- how accessibility works for <video> is unclear -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/9

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-9: how accessibility works for is unclear - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: closed by amicable consensus without any cascading effect on the related bugs

issue-120?

<trackbot> ISSUE-120 -- Use of prefixes is too complicated for a Web technology -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/120

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-120: Use of prefixes is too complicated for a Web technology - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: we now have two proposals, and the chairs are expecting to issue a survey today

issue-139?

<trackbot> ISSUE-139 -- HTML5 spec mentions Microdata in Acknowledgements -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/139

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-139: HTML5 spec mentions Microdata in Acknowledgements - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: exactly the same status

issue-140?

<trackbot> ISSUE-140 -- clarify the applicability of the term "conforming document" in cases where "applicable specifications" had been used to augment or change the base HTML5 specification -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/140

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-140: clarify the applicability of the term "conforming document" in cases where "applicable specifications" had been used to augment or change the base HTML5 specification - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: two proposals, also going to a survey today

issue-142?

<trackbot> ISSUE-142 -- No alternative text description for video key frame (poster) -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/142

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-142: No alternative text description for video key frame (poster) - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: again two proposals, and again we are expecting to issue a survey today

ISSUE-119?

<trackbot> ISSUE-119 -- Certain relationships take on a special meaning when repeated; other solutions may be cleaner -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/119

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-119: Certain relationships take on a special meaning when repeated; other solutions may be cleaner - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: this issue was closed by amicable consensus

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0187.html

<pimpbot> Title: Re: ISSUE-119 rel-repetition: Call for Consensus to close by amicable resolution from Sam Ruby on 2011-03-08 (public-html@w3.org from March 2011) (at lists.w3.org)
Items Closing This Week

paulc: we have 8 items, many closing today

issue-125?

<trackbot> ISSUE-125 -- Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to single quotes not needed for legacy content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/125

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-125: Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to single quotes not needed for legacy content - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: call for consensus closes today, midnight boston time

issue-126?

<trackbot> ISSUE-126 -- Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to backslashes not needed for legacy content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/126

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-126: Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to backslashes not needed for legacy content - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: survey also closes today

issue-135?

<trackbot> ISSUE-135 -- put back direct link to the W3C version of the canvas 2d context spec -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/135

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-135: put back direct link to the W3C version of the canvas 2d context spec - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: call for alt or counter proposals closes today

issue-146?

<trackbot> ISSUE-146 -- <video> should allow muted as a content attribute -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/146

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-146: should allow muted as a content attribute - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: call for alt or counter proposals closes today

issue-147?

<trackbot> ISSUE-147 -- playbackrate: undefined behavior when the user agent can't play back at the requested rate -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/147

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-147: playbackrate: undefined behavior when the user agent cant play back at the requested rate - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: call for alt or counter proposals closes today

issue-148?

<trackbot> ISSUE-148 -- Algorithm for detecting the charset="" parameter -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/148

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-148: Algorithm for detecting the charset="" parameter - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: again, call for alt or counter proposals closes today

issue-56?

<trackbot> ISSUE-56 -- Bring "URLs" section/definition and IRI specification in alignment. -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/56

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-56: Bring "URLs" section/definition and IRI specification in alignment. - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: call for consensus closes tomorrow

issue-127?

<trackbot> ISSUE-127 -- Simplify characterization of link types -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/127

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-127: Simplify characterization of link types - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: call for counter proposals closes tomorrow

julian: a number of these are listed as call for consensus in the agenda when they are actually in the poll state

paulc: the agenda is incorrect; 125, 126, 127, and 56 has surveys that close on the dates indicated
Items Closing Next Week

paulc: none
New Calls this week

paulc: none
New Surveys this week

paulc: the chairs intend to issue 4 surveys today that close midnight march 17th

issue-120?

<trackbot> ISSUE-120 -- Use of prefixes is too complicated for a Web technology -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/120

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-120: Use of prefixes is too complicated for a Web technology - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

issue-139?

<trackbot> ISSUE-139 -- HTML5 spec mentions Microdata in Acknowledgements -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/139

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-139: HTML5 spec mentions Microdata in Acknowledgements - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

issue-140?

<trackbot> ISSUE-140 -- clarify the applicability of the term "conforming document" in cases where "applicable specifications" had been used to augment or change the base HTML5 specification -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/140

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-140: clarify the applicability of the term "conforming document" in cases where "applicable specifications" had been used to augment or change the base HTML5 specification - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

issue-142?

<trackbot> ISSUE-142 -- No alternative text description for video key frame (poster) -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/142

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-142: No alternative text description for video key frame (poster) - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)
Decisions this week

issue-109?

<trackbot> ISSUE-109 -- change ARIA section title and add extra text about use of ARIA -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/109

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-109: change ARIA section title and add extra text about use of ARIA - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 12284] How about call the new standard "HML". Then my "C" program won't have to check for a '4 or 3' character word. we will already know the word is 3 characters. <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2011Mar/0416.html>

paulc: published decisions on this item
... the chairs intend to publish decisions later today on issues 92 and 130
... the chairs have several other draft decisions in preparation, you should see more by mid next-week
Other Business

issue-128?

<trackbot> ISSUE-128 -- Authors should be able to use <figure> where <img> can be used -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/128

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-128: Authors should be able to use where can be used - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11486#c5

<pimpbot> 1111486: contributor, P4, RESOLVED FIXED, 13Remove rel=archives in favor of rel=index. They are extremely similar and not that useful to have separately.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/link-relations/current/msg00175.html

<pimpbot> Title: Re: [link-relations] NEW RELATION REQUEST: Relation name: "archives" (at www.ietf.org)

julian: the decision for 128 was for removing a certain set of link relations
... the editor removed one additional rel, for archives; the feedback in the bug was to not remove it

<Julian> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11486#c5

<pimpbot> 1111486: contributor, P4, RESOLVED FIXED, 13Remove rel=archives in favor of rel=index. They are extremely similar and not that useful to have separately.

julian: this link relation was previously documented in the IANA registry, once the WG draft is next published, this reference will be dangling

<paulc> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11486

<pimpbot> 1111486: contributor, P4, RESOLVED FIXED, 13Remove rel=archives in favor of rel=index. They are extremely similar and not that useful to have separately.

<Julian> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10589

<pimpbot> 1110589: hsivonen, P1, VERIFIED WONTFIX, 13figure and figcaption shouldn't automatically close p

paulc: as is was reported on December 6th, it is a last call bug
... if you disagree with this change, request a revert

julian: I am not opposed to the resolution, I am unhappy with the way it happened

paulc: I want to discourage us from attributing ulterior motives to the editor
... if anybody disagrees, they should inform the chairs

julian: I am likely to do exactly that for the impact it has on the reliability of references to the working draft
... what should the IANA registry link to?

paulc: if we had a firm decision to remove it, then it would be appropriate to remove the registration from the registry
... I don't know if we would have any dissent; what is important that the WG has an opportunity to debate the outcomes

julian: agreed

paulc: the editor's decision has a cascading effect, which means that we can request a revert if it moves us further from consensus
... I think you (julian) know how to proceed from here?

julian: yes
Chair and Scribe for next meeting

<adrianba> i volunteer to scribe next week

paulc: I will chair again next week
Adjournment

paulc: we are adjourned

Summary of Action Items
[End of minutes]
________________________________
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version 1.135 (CVS log<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2011/03/10 17:27:35 $
________________________________
Scribe.perl diagnostic output
[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]

This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20

Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/



Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)



Succeeded: s/rel will be/reference will be/

Found ScribeNick: rubys

Inferring Scribes: rubys



WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!

Possibly Present: Cynthia_Shelly J_Voracek Lachy Laura Laura_Carlson Marco_Ranon Martijnc Microsoft MikeSmith P13 P29 Radhika_Roy Sam Stevef Title aaaa aabb adrianba anne arronei bugmail davidb dsinger eliot gavin__ homata homata_ homata__ html-wg janina joined julian karl kennyluck kliehm mfoladar myakura nonge_ oedipus paulc pimpbot planet plh scribenick tH trackbot webr3

You can indicate people for the Present list like this:

        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary

        <dbooth> Present+ amy



Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2011JanMar/0021.html

Found Date: 10 Mar 2011

Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-html-wg-minutes.html

People with action items:



WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.

You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.





WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this

warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain

a link to the original IRC log.)




[End of scribe.perl<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> diagnostic output]




image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)

Received on Friday, 11 March 2011 02:53:46 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 19 February 2014 13:57:51 UTC