W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-wg-announce@w3.org > January to March 2011

RE: {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-01-20: status of actions, calls; task force reports

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:35:32 +0000
To: "public-html-wg-announce@w3.org" <public-html-wg-announce@w3.org>
CC: "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>
Message-ID: <104E6B5B6535E849970CDFBB1C5216EB3CE535A2@TK5EX14MBXC140.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
http://www.w3.org/2011/01/20-html-wg-minutes.html


- DRAFT -

HTML Weekly Teleconference

20 Jan 2011

 Agenda

Attendees
Present: Sam, Julian, mjs, adrianba, krisk, +39.535.8.aaaa, [Microsoft], eliot, dpenkler, Radhika_Roy, paulc, Mike, Michael_Cooper
Regrets:
Chair:   Sam Ruby
Scribe:  Adrian Bateman

Contents

Topics
1. ACTION items due by Thursday, January 20
2. New Issues This Week
3. Items Closed Last Week
4. Items Closing This Week
5. Items Closing Next Week
6. New Calls this week
7. New Surveys this week
8. Task Force Reports - Testing Task Force
9. Task Force Reports - Accessibility Task Force
10. Other Business
11. Scribe for next meeting
12. Adjournment

.Summary of Action Items

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTION items due by Thursday, January 20

ACTION-29?

<trackbot> ACTION-29 -- Philippe Le Hégaret to follow up on the idea of a free-software-compatible license for a note on HTML authoring -- due 2011-01-20 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/29

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-29: Follow up on the idea of a free-software-compatible license for a note on HTML authoring - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

mjs: if anything needed to be reported, it would come from plh
 ... nothing to report at the moment from me

New Issues This Week

ISSUE-153?

<trackbot> ISSUE-153 -- link type "external" either not useful or underspecified -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/153

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-153: link type "external" either not useful or underspecified - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-154?

<trackbot> ISSUE-154 -- "sidebar" might not be a proper use of a link relation -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/154

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-154: "sidebar" might not be a proper use of a link relation - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: both of these will be last call issues since the bugs came after the cut-off

ISSUE-155?

<trackbot> ISSUE-155 -- make <table border="1" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0"> conforming -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/155

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-155: make conforming - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: call for proposals issued and received first change proposal

ISSUE-156?

<trackbot> ISSUE-156 -- Permit closing tag for new, void elements - for legacy compatibility = XHTML alignment -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/156

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-156: Permit closing tag for new, void elements - for legacy compatibility = XHTML alignment - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: opened since i sent the agenda
 ... as we're getting close to the deadline i'll open a call for proposals after the meeting

julian: i thought the last call cut off was in jan

rubys: the original deadline for bugs was in oct
 ... doesn't mean we can't accept issues, etc but won't hold up last call

Items Closed Last Week

ISSUE-119?

<trackbot> ISSUE-119 -- Certain relationships take on a special meaning when repeated; other solutions may be cleaner -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/119

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-119: Certain relationships take on a special meaning when repeated; other solutions may be cleaner - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-125?

<trackbot> ISSUE-125 -- Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to single quotes not needed for legacy content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/125

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-125: Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to single quotes not needed for legacy content - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-126?

<trackbot> ISSUE-126 -- Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to backslashes not needed for legacy content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/126

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-126: Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to backslashes not needed for legacy content - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: these we have calls for amicable resolution and ongoing discussion on the mailing list

ISSUE-134?

<trackbot> ISSUE-134 -- Provide tablist and tab states for menu and command elements respectively -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/134

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-134: Provide tablist and tab states for menu and command elements respectively - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-136?

<trackbot> ISSUE-136 -- would the <small> element be better handled in CSS? -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/136

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-136: would the element be better handled in CSS? - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: both closed without prejudice as we are yet to receive a change proposal

ISSUE-138?

<trackbot> ISSUE-138 -- "mutate action" for issueing a GET request is misleading -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/138

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-138: "mutate action" for issueing a GET request is misleading - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: change proposal received and call for amicable resolution based on this (change already made)

Items Closing This Week

ISSUE-120?

<trackbot> ISSUE-120 -- Use of prefixes is too complicated for a Web technology -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/120

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-120: Use of prefixes is too complicated for a Web technology - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-135?

<trackbot> ISSUE-135 -- put back direct link to the W3C version of the canvas 2d context spec -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/135

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-135: put back direct link to the W3C version of the canvas 2d context spec - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-139?

<trackbot> ISSUE-139 -- HTML5 spec mentions Microdata in Acknowledgements -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/139

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-139: HTML5 spec mentions Microdata in Acknowledgements - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-140?

<trackbot> ISSUE-140 -- clarify the applicability of the term "conforming document" in cases where "applicable specifications" had been used to augment or change the base HTML5 specification -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/140

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-140: clarify the applicability of the term "conforming document" in cases where "applicable specifications" had been used to augment or change the base HTML5 specification - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: change proposal and counter proposal for 139
 ... change proposal for 140
 ... nothing received for the others

Items Closing Next Week

ISSUE-142?

<trackbot> ISSUE-142 -- No alternative text description for video key frame (poster) -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/142

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-142: No alternative text description for video key frame (poster) - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-144?

<trackbot> ISSUE-144 -- <u> should be conforming -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/144

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-144: should be conforming - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-145?

<trackbot> ISSUE-145 -- use of "codecs" parameter -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/145

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-145: use of "codecs" parameter - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-146?

<trackbot> ISSUE-146 -- <video> should allow muted as a content attribute -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/146

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-146: should allow muted as a content attribute - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: all of these due jan 26

<Julian> we do have a proposal for ISSUE-135, right?

New Calls this week

rubys: (correction - we did receive proposals on all items closing this week - next status will be issue a call for counter proposals)

ISSUE-138?

<trackbot> ISSUE-138 -- "mutate action" for issueing a GET request is misleading -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/138

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-138: "mutate action" for issueing a GET request is misleading - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-119?

<trackbot> ISSUE-119 -- Certain relationships take on a special meaning when repeated; other solutions may be cleaner -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/119

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-119: Certain relationships take on a special meaning when repeated; other solutions may be cleaner - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-125?

<trackbot> ISSUE-125 -- Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to single quotes not needed for legacy content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/125

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-125: Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to single quotes not needed for legacy content - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-126?

<trackbot> ISSUE-126 -- Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to backslashes not needed for legacy content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/126

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-126: Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to backslashes not needed for legacy content - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: calls for consensus on all these (as mentioned earlier in the agenda)

ISSUE-131?

<trackbot> ISSUE-131 -- Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-131: Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-152?

<trackbot> ISSUE-152 -- Handling of additional tracks of a multitrack audio/video resource -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/152

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-152: Handling of additional tracks of a multitrack audio/video resource - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-155?

<trackbot> ISSUE-155 -- make <table border="1" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0"> conforming -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/155

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-155: make conforming - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: all due feb 21
 ... i also plan to make a call for change proposals on ISSUE-156 after this call

New Surveys this week

rubys: None

Task Force Reports - Testing Task Force

krisk: met as planned last tuesday
 ... talked a little about the canvas test approval
 ... move the vast majority into the approved folder
 ... group also talked about the upcoming server name change that plh and the w3c team are working on
 ... some discussion about php support and that it would be best for plh to work with webapps xhr as a good sample for using php
 ... group meets again this coming tuesday
 ... going to start looking at submitted audio and video cases - there about 200 of these
 ... need to get consensus and we can move these to the approved folder too
 ... that's it - any questions?

Task Force Reports - Accessibility Task Force

janina: top news item is that we've scheduled a f2f mar 19/20 in san diego
 ... there is an annual conference for a11y and many people will be there anyway
 ... also ahead of an important date in LC timeline
 ... expect to close issues there
 ... will extend an invitation to wider community than typical wed meeting
 ... moving forward - getting lots of bugs dealt with
 ... in some cases closed, in other cases more work to do but making good progress
 ... mike and i are continuing to emphasise that we need to be closing and getting to consensus on change proposals
 ... good activity on aria mappings - good feedback from the editor
 ... healthy interaction
 ... canvas is making progress and getting more vendors involved
 ... in media we were talking about video poster but we had under specified the user requirement and we are unclear about how to resolve on the engineering side
 ... we need to get a bug filed here and find out if there are potential issues for the spec or if it us an author issue
 ... this is related to autoplay of media that can be an a11y issue
 ... as a screen reader if something starts playing and i can't control it that is a problem
 ... we're not accustomed to dealing with media requirements and so we missed this

MikeSmith: one other thing i wanted to mention about the TF call
 ... we have a bug triage team for a few months going through the open bugs relating to a11y
 ... and closing and commenting and making recommendations
 ... the decision policy doesn't seem to give complete guidance for bugs that have been verified for more than two weeks
 ... what is supposed to happen is that we assume no response is coming and the disposition of comments could say that
 ... it doesn't say we can close it though
 ... so i think myself that it should be fine for anyone to close at that point
 ... i assume what we should do is file a bug against decision policy

rubys: yes

<Zakim> MikeSmith, you wanted to say that (at end of normal agenda) I have a question about who other than the original commenter can move bugs to CLOSED, and when

mjs: i think this might be dealt with - bugs get closed when they timeout

MikeSmith: okay, i'll look - if it is already covered then i won't file a bug - i need to get back to the triage team

Other Business

rubys: anybody have any other business?
 ... i have none and hear no others

Scribe for next meeting

rubys: any volunteers?
 ... hearing no other volunteers, i will volunteer

Adjournment

rubys: if no objections, we will adjourn

Summary of Action Items

 [End of minutes]

-----Original Message-----
From: public-html-wg-announce-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-wg-announce-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Sam Ruby
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:24 PM
To: HTML WG Announce
Subject: {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-01-20: status of actions, calls; task force reports

The HTML Working Group will have its usual weekly teleconference on
2011-01-20 for up to 60 minutes from 17:00Z to 18:00Z.

http://timeanddate.com/s/1y4b

Tokyo 02:00+1, Amsterdam/Oslo 18:00, London/Dublin 17:00,
New Jersey/York 12 noon, Kansas City 11:00, Seattle/San Francisco 09:00.

Chair of the meeting: Sam Ruby
Scribe: Adrian Bateman

(See the end of this email for dial-in and IRC info.)

== Agenda ==

1. ACTION items due by Thursday, January 20

a) ACTION-29: Follow up on the idea of a free-software-compatible
    license for a note on HTML authoring [Philippe Le Hégaret]
    http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/29

2. New Issues This Week:

a) ISSUE-153: link type "external" either not useful or underspecified
    /html/wg/tracker/issues/153

b) ISSUE-154: "sidebar" might not be a proper use of a link relation
    /html/wg/tracker/issues/154

c) ISSUE-155: make <table border="1" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0">
    conforming
    /html/wg/tracker/issues/155

3. Items Closed Last Week

a) ISSUE-119: rel-repetition, Alternate or Counter Proposals closed
    Jan 12
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0005.html
    No alternate proposals received

b) ISSUE-125: charset-vs-quotes, Alternate or Counter Proposals closed
    Jan 12
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0006.html
    No alternate proposals received

c) ISSUE-126: charset-vs-backslashes, Alternate or Counter Proposals due
    Jan 12
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0007.html
    No alternate proposals received

d) ISSUE-134: tab-states, Change Proposals closed Jan 12
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Nov/0416.html
    No change proposal received

e) ISSUE-136: remove-small, Change Proposals closed Jan 12
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Nov/0417.html
    No change proposal received

f) ISSUE-138: mutate-action, Change Proposals closed Jan 12
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Nov/0418.html
    Change proposal received, change has been made

4. Items Closing This Week

a) ISSUE-120: rdfa-prefixes, Change Proposals due Jan 19
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0065.html
    No proposals received to date

b) ISSUE-135: link-canvas-spec, Change Proposals due Jan 19
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0068.html
    No proposals received to date

c) ISSUE-139: ack-microdata, Change Proposal due Jan 19
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jan/0162.html
    Change proposal and counter proposal received

d) ISSUE-140: conformance-terminology, Change Proposals due Jan 19
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0066.html
    No proposals received to date

5. Items Closing Next Week

a) ISSUE-142: poster-alt, Change Proposals due Jan 26
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0123.html

b) ISSUE-144: conforming-u, Change Proposals due Jan 26
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0126.html

c) ISSUE-145: codecs-vs-octet, Change Proposals due Jan 26
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0124.html

d) ISSUE-146: video-content-muted, Change Proposals due Jan 26
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0125.html

6. New Calls this week

a) ISSUE-138: mutate-action, Call for Consensus closes Jan 25
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jan/0161.html

b) ISSUE-119: rel-repetition, Call for Consensus closes Jan 26
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jan/0180.html

c) ISSUE-125: charset-vs-quotes, Call for Consensus closes Jan 26
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jan/0181.html

d) ISSUE-126: charset-vs-backslashes, Call for Consensus closes Jan 26
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jan/0182.html

e) ISSUE-131: caret-location-API, Change Proposals due Feb 21
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jan/0200.html

f) ISSUE-152: multitrack-media-resources, Change Proposals due Feb 21
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jan/0198.html

g) ISSUE-155: table-border, Change Proposals due Feb 21
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jan/0199.html

7. New Surveys this week

    None

8. Task Force Reports

a) Testing Task Force

b) Accessibility Task Force

9. Other Business

10. Scribe for next meeting

11. Adjournment

== Dial-in and IRC Details ==

Zakim teleconference bridge
+1.617.761.6200, +33.4.26.46.79.03, +44.203.318.0479
code: HTML (4865)
Supplementary IRC chat (logged)
#html-wg on irc.w3.org port 6665 or port 80
Received on Thursday, 20 January 2011 17:36:07 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 19 February 2014 13:57:51 UTC