RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-04 [task force week]

Minutes are available here: http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html

- DRAFT -
HTML Weekly Teleconference

Agenda<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2010JulSep/0012.html>

Attendees
Present
Regrets
Chair
Sam Ruby
Scribe
Adrian Bateman
Contents

  *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   ACTION items due by Thursday, Aug 5<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item01>
     *   New Issues This Week<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item02>
     *   Working Group decisions<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item03>
     *   Items Closing This Week<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item04>
     *   Items Closing Next Week<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item05>
     *   Current WG Surveys<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item06>
     *   Task Force Reports - Accessibility Task Force<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item07>
     *   Task Force Reports - Testing Task Force<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item08>
     *   Misc items<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item09>
     *   Other business<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item10>
     *   Scribe for next meeting<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item11>
     *   Adjournment<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#item12>
  *   Summary of Action Items<http://www.w3.org/2010/08/05-html-wg-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

________________________________
ACTION items due by Thursday, Aug 5

ACTION-184?

<trackbot> ACTION-184 -- Paul Cotton to ensure that someone in the WG is testing the new @rel registry setup by IANA -- due 2010-08-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/184

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-184 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

paulc: haven't done anything on this because soon after the call maciej continued the mail thread
... and pointed julian at registration attempt
... this seems to be continuing on the list
... it's not obvious whether we have consensus about whether the attempt was valid
... but someone is trying out the system

rubys: should close the action and consider opening others

julian: i asked for making progress a few weeks ago but it doesn't appear that we have made progress

rubys: sounds like action 184 is closed and next action is call for consensus

julian: that's good

paulc: that's an implicit call on the chairs for action

<rubys> close action-184

<trackbot> ACTION-184 Ensure that someone in the WG is testing the new @rel registry setup by IANA closed

paulc: i took the action when i was in the chair to make sure we pushed this forward

rubys: and maciej helped with this too
New Issues This Week

rubys: None
Working Group decisions

rubys: believe close to decision on issue 30

ISSUE-30?

<trackbot> ISSUE-30 -- Should HTML 5 include a longdesc attribute for images -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/30

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-30 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: the rest are being worked on
... questions?
Items Closing This Week

rubys: None
Items Closing Next Week

ISSUE-41?

<trackbot> ISSUE-41 -- Decentralized extensibility -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/41

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-41 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: paul put out a call for advocates so we can reduce the number of proposals if possible
... the mailing list is active on this

paulc: i made the call for advocates to end at the end of next week
... wanted to do it for longer than one week in case people are away given it is summer

ISSUE-89?

<trackbot> ISSUE-89 -- Remove Section 4.12 Common Idioms without dedicated Elements -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/89

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-89 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-92?

<trackbot> ISSUE-92 -- Re-write the Table section to remove extraneous material, and provide cleaner description -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/92

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-92 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: made a request that these proposals be updated
... see that this has been done but yet to review them

ISSUE-110?

<trackbot> ISSUE-110 -- Change Control for text/html-sandboxed media type -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/110

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-110 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: actually has a month but people should be aware of this
... if people are interested they can work on this
Current WG Surveys

ISSUE-100?

<trackbot> ISSUE-100 -- Remove the srcdoc attribute from the HTML5 specification -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/100

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-100 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: new survey started yesterday for one week

<rubys> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-100-objection-poll/

rubys: everyone who wants to participate is encouraged to do so
Task Force Reports - Accessibility Task Force

janina: got a couple of things going on where it seems there are issues beyond the task force's ability to make progress
... we're discussing this and maciej has been meeting with some a11y tf people
... aria mapping is moving forward into a better state
... looks like this will take another couple of weeks to emerge in a more acceptable form
... the second issue is about canvas
... we have put forth a proposal about canvas that isn't fully acceptable to some people in the wg
... it's about focus ring, caret, and selection
... these are different on different OS
... which is problematic and it's not clear how to resolve
... may be a philosophical difference of opinion
... need to discuss how to move forward towards a resolution
... that's forthcoming and we should plan to discuss on monday
... for drag and drop we're also somewhat blocked but we need responses from browser developers
... we have people committed to find us someone to work with
... on all these we're moving slower because of people away on vacation
... progress is happening but slower because it is august
... on media when we met last week with chairs we talked about announcing to the wider group the availability of our user requirements
... we want the main issue about timing to be discussed more widely than the tf
... i was asked not to do that until the last edits have gone in
... hopefully this will be done fairly soon, hopefully before this meeting next week
... we know we have many different representations necessary, primary and then alternatives for different audiences
... we need to keep these appropriately synchronised even if they're not the same length
... we need to get this discussion out more widely
Task Force Reports - Testing Task Force

krisk: met last week as planned and will meet again 8/10

<krisk> Notes -> http://www.w3.org/2010/07/27-htmlt-minutes.html

<pimpbot> Title: HTML Weekly Teleconference -- 27 Jul 2010 (at www.w3.org)

krisk: we approved 50 of the canvas tests and more are being reviewed
... some discussion about webidl and ability to delete dom objects
... decided they should not be deletable
... anne submitted tests for getElementsByClassName
... also james graham has been updating test harness to integrate new automated tests
... automated instead of manual
... updated test runner to generate results in xml
... it might move to json - we're discussing this

<krisk> I created set of conformance reports http://test.w3.org/html/tests/reporting/report.htm

<pimpbot> Title: HTML5 Conformance Test Results (at test.w3.org)

krisk: conformance reports using the xml format across some different user agents
... we'd like other vendors to submit/update results
... even though it's summer lots of things going on
... that's it for today

paul: kris, you just asked for other vendors to get engaged - am i to take it that microsoft and opera are engaged but who else?

krisk: there's a few independents who chime in from time to time
... but nothing really consistently from other browser vendors

paul: i was trying to open up the link to the report.htm and i'm having trouble viewing it
... is it supposed to give results for different runs of the suite?

<krisk> http://test.w3.org/html/tests/harness/harness.htm

krisk: yes, if you go through the test runner
... and pass or fail all the tests then at the end you can generate results and it gives xml
... which can be submitted to hg
... if it's a new user agent it will show up on the report table

paul: how are you controlling who can submit

krisk: currently you can submit to hg - we'll see what happens and will manage it
... it's all audited through hg
... we want browser vendors to submit their own results

paul: that's what i'm concerned about - i'm curious if plh has comments

plh: i like what i'm seeing

paul: i do too
Misc items

rubys: decision policy update

mjs: there is one small drafting task left and then we will want review
... there's been a large number of bugs dealt with

rubys: questions?
... HTML WG status

<scribe> ...done one back in March

paul: continue to work on this
... plh did one for an AB meeting in early july
... believe another AB meeting coming up
... don't think plh got to present last report
... are the slides public?

plh: believe so

<plh> --> http://www.w3.org/2010/Talks/0715-html-plh/Overview.html HTML5 Update

<pimpbot> Title: HTML 5 Update (at www.w3.org)

paul: need to get this level of information directly to the AC
... need to finish drafting this alongside the information plh has
... definitely on my to do list

rubys: questions?
Other business

rubys: floor is open