W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-wg-announce@w3.org > January to March 2009

minutes: HTML Weekly Teleconference 08 Jan 2009

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:23:27 -0600
To: public-html-wg-announce <public-html-wg-announce@w3.org>
Message-Id: <1232126607.18554.1189.camel@pav.lan>

HTML Weekly Teleconference 08 Jan 2009 
             1. Convene, review agenda
             2. 1.5.4 Relationship to Flash, Silverlight, XUL and
                similar proprietary languages
             3. ISSUE-13 handling-http-401-status
             4. authoring guide
             5. HTML Principles/Requirements, charter
             6. ISSUE-55 head-profile
             7. ISSUE-54 doctype-legacy-compat and open issues vs raised
                issues?

full text:
http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html 2009/01/16 17:19:11


Sorry for the delay in getting these minutes out; scribe wasn't aware
of the "Minutes ... should be sent to public-html-wg-announce within a
day or two" policy from http://www.w3.org/html/wg/#telcon
and
http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies.html#GeneralMeetings


A text copy follows for tracker, search engines, etc...

[1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                      HTML Weekly Teleconference

08 Jan 2009

Attendees

   Present
          smedero, ChrisWilson, Sam, Julian, anne, Masinter, Shepazu,
          dsinger, DanC, hsivonen, Mike

   Regrets
   Chair
          ChrisWilson

   Scribe
          SamRuby

Contents

     * [2]Topics
         1. [3]Convene, review agenda
         2. [4]1.5.4 Relationship to Flash, Silverlight, XUL and
            similar proprietary languages
         3. [5]ISSUE-13 handling-http-401-status
         4. [6]authoring guide
         5. [7]HTML Principles/Requirements, charter
         6. [8]ISSUE-55 head-profile
         7. [9]ISSUE-54 doctype-legacy-compat and open issues vs raised
            issues?
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

Convene, review agenda

   <ChrisWilson> Tracker: [11]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/agenda

     [11] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/agenda

   <pimpbot> Title: Input for Agenda Planning for the HTML Weekly -
   HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   <MikeSmith> scribe: SamRuby

   <MikeSmith> scribenick: rubys

   <MikeSmith> trackbot, start meeting

   <trackbot> Date: 08 January 2009

   <ChrisWilson> action-88?

   <trackbot> ACTION-88 -- Dan Connolly to look into anne's ticket
   206755 from iana@iana.org somewhat related to
   [12]http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/prov/access-cont
   rol-allow-origin -- due 2008-12-06 -- PENDINGREVIEW

     [12] http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/prov/access-control-allow-origin

   <trackbot> [13]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/88

     [13] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/88

   <pimpbot> Title: ACTION-88 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   DanC: that's done, happy outcome, no further discussion is necessary

   ChrisWilson: I'll mark it closed

   <DanC> close action-88

   <trackbot> ACTION-88 Look into anne's ticket 206755 from
   iana@iana.org somewhat related to
   [14]http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/prov/access-cont
   rol-allow-origin closed

     [14] http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/prov/access-control-allow-origin

1.5.4 Relationship to Flash, Silverlight, XUL and similar proprietary
languages

   <ChrisWilson> action-78?

   <trackbot> ACTION-78 -- Chris Wilson to suggestion text for 1.4.4 --
   due 2008-10-31 -- PENDINGREVIEW

   <trackbot> [15]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/78

     [15] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/78

   <pimpbot> Title: ACTION-78 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   Ian has implemented something similar to the text Chris proposed, so
   Chris is inclined to close action-78.

   <smedero>
   [16]http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#relationship-
   to-flash,-silverlight,-xul-and-similar-proprietary-languages

     [16] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#relationship-to-flash

   <pimpbot> Title: HTML 5 (at www.whatwg.org)

   <smedero> Which is now section 1.5.4 btw

   <Julian> 1.5.4.: "1.5.4 Relationship to Flash, Silverlight, XUL and
   similar proprietary languages

   <Julian> This section is non-normative.

   <Julian> This specification is independent of the various
   proprietary application languages that various vendors provide, but
   is intended to address many of the same problems.

   <Julian> In contrast with proprietary languages, this specification
   is intended to define an openly-produced, vendor-neutral language,
   to be implemented in a broad range of competing products, across a
   wide range of platforms and devices. This enables developers to
   write applications that are not limited to one vendor's
   implementation or language. Furthermore, while writing applications
   that target...

   <Julian> ...vendor-specific platforms necessarily introduces a cost
   that application developers and their customers or users will face
   if they are forced to switch (or desire to switch) to another
   vendor's platform, using an openly-produced and vendor neutral
   language means that application authors can switch vendors with
   little to no cost."

   Larry believes the text in 1.5.4 is a bit too inflamatory.

   Chris tends to agree

   <dsinger> In general, I don't think specs should say what they are
   not, so I tend to agree also

   <pimpbot> Title: Zakim IRC Teleconference Agent (at www.w3.org)

   <smedero> (not all, just some...)

   ChrisWilson: Ian is trying to address the idea that some of these
   alternative platforms could be marketed as a way address some of the
   same needs as HTML5

   Masinter: with Moonlight, Silverlight is now an opely developed
   standard. Larry is willing to take on this action item.

   ChrisWilson: due date?

   Masinter: two weeks

   <DanC> action-78?

   <trackbot> ACTION-78 -- Chris Wilson to larry Masinter - Suggestion
   text for 1.5.4 -- due 2009-01-22 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [17]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/78

     [17] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/78

ISSUE-13 handling-http-401-status

   <DanC> action-86?

   <trackbot> ACTION-86 -- Dan Connolly to propose to postpone ISSUE-13
   handling-http-401-status by explaining the problem, noting the lack
   of solutions, and asking if postponing is acceptable -- due
   2008-12-16 -- PENDINGREVIEW

   <trackbot> [18]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/86

     [18] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/86

   <ChrisWilson> action-86?

   <trackbot> ACTION-86 -- Dan Connolly to propose to postpone ISSUE-13
   handling-http-401-status by explaining the problem, noting the lack
   of solutions, and asking if postponing is acceptable -- due
   2008-12-16 -- PENDINGREVIEW

   <pimpbot> Title: ACTION-86 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   <trackbot> [19]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/86

     [19] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/86

   DanC: I forgot to follow up

   <DanC>
   [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Dec/0153.htm
   l

     [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Dec/0153.html

   <pimpbot> Title: OK to postpone ISSUE-13 handling-http-401-status
   (form authentication...)? from Dan Connolly on 2008-12-16
   (public-html@w3.org from December 2008) (at lists.w3.org)

   DanC: Thomas Broyer has ongoing work and submitted an internet draft

   <smedero> Thomas's draft is here:
   [21]http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-broyer-http-cookie-aut
   h-00.txt

     [21] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-broyer-http-cookie-auth-00.txt

   ChrisWilson: As this work is progressing elsewhere, this item can be
   closed?

   DanC: I haven't verified that this internet draft addresses the
   discussion

   <DanC> (I think my action can be closed; but I'm not sure whether
   the issue should be closed...)

   <pimpbot> Title: HTML Weekly Teleconference -- 08 Jan 2009 (at
   www.w3.org)

   <DanC> issue-13?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-13 -- Handling HTTP status 401 responses / User
   Agent Authentication Forms -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/13

     [22] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/13

   Julian: It doesn't completely address the topic, it is a small piece
   in the big puzzle

   <pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-13 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   DanC: I want somebody to ream Thomas's internet draft and make an
   informed recommendation

   ChirsWilson: Who raised the issue originally?

   <masinter> the document in question has normative language for what
   HTML forms 'should' do in some cases.

   ChrisWilson: Julian: will you accept such an action item.

   <DanC> (which I suppose means I suggest my proposal of 16 Dec
   doesn't carry)

   Julian: yes, two weeks

   <masinter> suggest HTML5 could make an informative reference to the
   document, telling HTML authors there might be some additional advice

   ChrisWilson: the proposal of December 16 does not carry

   <ChrisWilson> 1

   <DanC> ACTION-86?

   <trackbot> ACTION-86 -- Dan Connolly to propose to postpone ISSUE-13
   handling-http-401-status by explaining the problem, noting the lack
   of solutions, and asking if postponing is acceptable -- due
   2008-12-16 -- PENDINGREVIEW

   <trackbot> [23]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/86

     [23] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/86

   <pimpbot> Title: ACTION-86 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   <DanC> ACTION-86?

   <trackbot> ACTION-86 -- Julian Reschke to review Thomas Broyer's
   IETF ID to see if we can postpone ISSUE-13 -- due 2009-01-22 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [24]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/86

     [24] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/86

   <pimpbot> Title: ACTION-86 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   ChrisWilson: onto overdue action items

authoring guide

   <ChrisWilson> action-34?

   <trackbot> ACTION-34 -- Lachlan Hunt to prepare "Web Developer's
   Guide to HTML5" for publication in some way, as discussed on
   2007-11-28 phone conference -- due 2008-12-31 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [25]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/34

     [25] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/34

   <pimpbot> Title: ACTION-34 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   ChrisWilson: anybody know status on this?

   DanC: I'm hoping to make traction in this space...

   <smedero> last update to the author's guide was Nov 28th, 2008.

   ChrisWilson: I'm assuming that the status is that Lachlan doesn't
   have enough time to dedicate to this.

   <gsnedders> karl said he'd work on it in December, but did very
   little.

   <gsnedders> That is my understanding too.

   <DanC> I'm inclined to drop it until somebody does more work

   ChrisWilson: should we move the date or seek for additional help

   <smedero> gsnedders: hrm, karl actually did a fair bit of work with
   lachlan... imho.

   <gsnedders> smedero: In Dec? Not that I saw.

   DanC: I'm inclined to drop this action and only reopen if somebody
   is actively purusing it

   <Lachy> I will have enough time. But dealing with selectors api in
   december and then holidays hasn't given me much

   <gsnedders> I might have just not been watching closely

   <ChrisWilson> Lachlan - should we just move the date out? To when?

   multiple-voices: suggest moving the date

   <masinter> i suggest re-reviewing this in a week or two

   <Lachy> I don't know. Some time in the future.

   <DanC> action-34 due 22 Jan 2009

   <trackbot> ACTION-34 Prepare "Web Developer's Guide to HTML5" for
   publication in some way, as discussed on 2007-11-28 phone conference
   due date now 22 Jan 2009

HTML Principles/Requirements, charter

   <ChrisWilson> action-38?

   <trackbot> ACTION-38 -- Michael(tm) Smith to chairs to review need
   for amending charter with Director -- due 2008-11-25 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [26]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/38

     [26] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/38

   <pimpbot> Title: ACTION-38 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   ChrisWilson: Sam and I need to discuss this... for now, I'll take
   over this action.
   ... the basic issue is that there are a lot of features in the
   current spec that are not in our charter

   <DanC> . [27]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/products/2

     [27] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/products/2

   <pimpbot> Title: Details on Product HTML Principles/Requirements -
   HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   ChrisWilson: the charter should reflect what we are working on, and
   what we are working on should reflect reality. That doesn't
   presuppose what is to change.

   Is there a list?

   <Zakim> DanC, you wanted to suggest the requirements issues list in
   response to doug's question

   ChrisWilson: I sent a list.

   DanC: I keep a list in the tracer under requirements issues

   <smedero> That action really dates from the Boston 2007 TPAC.

   <smedero> and it was originally brought up with respect to <canvas>

   DanC: unfortunately, canvas doesn't show up on that page as we
   closed it

   <DanC> (canvas requirement issue is
   [28]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/15 )

     [28] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/15

   <pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-15 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   ChrisWilson: the charter should mention to the documents we should
   produce, and nobody believes the schedule

   <DanC> (I prefer that the choice of how editors chop the technical
   scope into documents *not* be in the charter, though the technical
   scope should.)

   <jgraham> DanC, Do you have a pointer to your list?

   <DanC> . [29]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/products/2

     [29] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/products/2

   <pimpbot> Title: Details on Product HTML Principles/Requirements -
   HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   ChrisWilson: if there is to be a web authors guide, it should be in
   our deliverables
   ... it need not go down to the level of how many documents we split
   html5 into, but should cover things we feel are necessary

   <hsivonen> (Hixie has discussed those with Lisa Dusseault, too.)

   Masinter: ... possibility of a better liason with IETF

   <DanC> yup

   <ChrisWilson> s/"it should be"/ and we consider it critical, perhaps
   it should be

ISSUE-55 head-profile

   <ChrisWilson> action-75?

   <trackbot> ACTION-75 -- Michael(tm) Smith to raise question to group
   about Yes, leave @profile out, No, re-add it -- and cite Hixie's
   summary of the discussion -- due 2008-12-04 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [30]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/75

     [30] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/75

   <pimpbot> Title: ACTION-75 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   <anne> he's not

   <anne> or he is, hmm

   ChrisWilson: passing on Mike's overdue action items for the moment.

ISSUE-54 doctype-legacy-compat and open issues vs raised issues?

   ChrisWilson: open issues vs raised issues?

   DanC: issue 13 shows up as having one open action

   ChrisWilson: all 2007 open issues have actions

   <ChrisWilson> issue-31?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-31 -- What to do when a reasonable text equivalent
   is unknown/unavailable? -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [31]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/31

     [31] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/31

   <pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-31 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   Sam: I think we made enoough forward progress for now

   DanC: who has the ball on alt?
   ... demote alt back to raised pile?

   Henri: the working group working on authoring tool accessibility
   guidelines is working on this, the ball is in their court.

   <DanC> (the group Henri's talking about is
   [32]http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/ )

     [32] http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/

   <pimpbot> Title: Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines Working
   Group (AUWG) (at www.w3.org)

   Larry: heard something similar

   DanC: we need a liaison

   Larry: I might be able to get some help
   ... postpone for a week?

   DanC: need an owner

   Larry: I'll take the action
   ... I'm willing to report back next week

   <smedero> Julian recently opened a bug on that:
   [33]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=6336

     [33] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=6336

   open issues with no actions: svg/mathml and distributed
   extensibility

   <pimpbot> Title: Bug 6336 XSLT-compat doctype only allowed for use
   by XSLT (at www.w3.org)

   <ChrisWilson> issue-54?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-54 -- tools that can't generate <!DOCTYPE html> --
   OPEN

   <trackbot> [34]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/54

     [34] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/54

   <pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-54 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   <DanC> ACTION: Larry ask Matt May if he can help represent WAI WGs
   in the HTML WG [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-92 - Ask Matt May if he can help represent
   WAI WGs in the HTML WG [on Larry Masinter - due 2009-01-15].

   Sam: can we demote 37, 41, and 54 to raised?

   ChrisWilson: perhaps 54, but we don't want to do 37 and 41.

   <DanC> trackbot, status

   Doug: the svg working group is working on 37

   ChrisWilson: we can create an action for Doug to report back on 37

   <ChrisWilson> action shepazu to report back on SVG WG's integration
   proposal re: issue-37

   <DanC> ACTION: Larry ask Matt May if he can help represent WAI WGs
   in the HTML WG [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action02]

   Sam: who has an action for 54?

   <ChrisWilson> ACTION: shepazu to report back on SVG WG's integration
   proposal re: issue-37 [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - shepazu

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-90 - Ask Matt May if he can help represent
   WAI WGs in the HTML WG [on Larry Masinter - due 2009-01-15].

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - shepazu

   Sam: demote 54 to raised?

   <DanC> +1 move 54 to raised until somebody does work

   <ChrisWilson> anyone disagree with moving issue-54 back to raised?

   <hsivonen> we have the XSLT-compat string

   Julian: HTML5 partly addresses issue 54 by the current draft

   <DanC> how about one of the co-chairs take an action to pick the
   strnig/

   <DanC> ?

   Hsivonen: the technical issue is addressed, what is left is a total
   bikeshed

   <DanC> what string is in the document?

   <masinter> issue-54 isn't linked from the agenda

   <hsivonen> DanC, the string is "XSLT-compat"

   <DanC> which page are you using for "the agenda", masinter ?

   <hsivonen> I agree with Julian that non-XSLT legacy generators
   should be allowed to use the same string

   <masinter> [38]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/agenda

     [38] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/agenda

   <pimpbot> Title: Input for Agenda Planning for the HTML Weekly -
   HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   <Julian> [39]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=6336

     [39] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=6336

   <pimpbot> Title: Bug 6336 XSLT-compat doctype only allowed for use
   by XSLT (at www.w3.org)

   <Julian> [40]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=6336

     [40] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=6336

   [41]http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-doctype

     [41] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-doctype

   <pimpbot> Title: HTML 5 (at www.whatwg.org)

   <Julian> [42]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=6336

     [42] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=6336

   <pimpbot> Title: Bug 6336 XSLT-compat doctype only allowed for use
   by XSLT (at www.w3.org)

   <smedero> masinter is correct that ISSUE-54 wasn't on the "official"
   agenda. though the agenda sent out in email did suggest covering all
   open issues.

   <Julian> sorry

   <hsivonen> FWIW, the string is deliberately ugly to discourage
   people from using it

   Henri, Julian and ChrisWilson are not happy with the current string

   Henri: the motivation is to promote the simple doctype

   ChrisWilson: I don't see why it matters

   <Julian> it doesn't need to be shiny, but it also shouldn't be
   misleading

   s/XSLT-compat/legacy-compat/ ?

   <Julian> At some point, Mike proposed the empty string

   <gsnedders> horrible-legacy-compat-string?

   <hsivonen> I'd be OK with "legacy-compat"

   <masinter> it's generally a bad idea to specify the language in
   terms of the identity of the agent that is producing it

   Sam: suggest moving it to the mailing list

   ChrisWilson: we need to continue to track it at this level

   <DanC> issue-4?

   <DanC> sigh. trackbot is hosed

   <MikeSmith> (trackbot is gone)

   <DanC> trackbot, status

   <masinter> i'm confused by what DOCTYPE is used for, what are the
   requirements?

   <anne> masinter, DOCTYPE is used to trigger standards mode

   <hsivonen> masinter, the requirements are a string that 1) triggers
   the standards mode, 2) doesn't look like a public ID and 3) is
   deliberately ugly

   <MikeSmith> issue-4?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-4 -- HTML Versioning and DOCTYPEs -- RAISED

   <trackbot> [43]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/4

     [43] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/4

   <pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-4 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   <Julian> some disagree woth requirement 3

   <gsnedders> (2 is to make it clear that HTML is _not_ SGML, and 3 is
   to discourage it because it serves no use)

   anybody disagree with "legay-compat" ?

   <DanC> (I hope to demonstrate what <!DOCTYPE html> does in (an
   obscure part of) an authoring guide by way of test result data)

   <DanC> +1 legacy-compat

   <anne> I proposed that some time ago rubys, not sure who disagreed
   other than Hixie, but memory fails me

   <gsnedders> I have no objection to legacy-compat, and I think it's
   better than xslt-compat

   <smedero> hrm, I thought using "legacy-compat" had broad support

   <masinter> there are some general issues with version identification

   <DanC> ACTION: Sam propose 'legacy-compat' and report on feedback
   [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-91 - Propose 'legacy-compat' and report on
   feedback [on Sam Ruby - due 2009-01-15].

   <DanC> ACTION: Doug to report back on SVG WG's integration proposal
   re: issue-37 [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action05]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Doug

   <DanC> ACTION: Schepers to report back on SVG WG's integration
   proposal re: issue-37 [recorded in
   [46]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action06]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Schepers

   <DanC> trackbot, status

   <smedero> Would be useful for issue-54 to have more test data like
   this: [47]http://philip.html5.org/data/doctypes.html

     [47] http://philip.html5.org/data/doctypes.html

   <pimpbot> Title: Doctypes (at philip.html5.org)

   <anne> actually, seems Hixie himself suggested legacy-compat in
   [48]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/23-html-wg-minutes.html

     [48] http://www.w3.org/2008/10/23-html-wg-minutes.html

   <pimpbot> Title: HTML WG face-to-face meeting -- 23 Oct 2008 (at
   www.w3.org)

   Larry: this issue is also related to mandatory error handling and
   proper versioning

   ChrisWilson: it is not quite that simple
   ... adding attribute (even completely new ones) breaks existing
   sites

   <gsnedders> Handling error handling by throwing a fatal error is
   conforming, per HTML 5.

   <smedero> Versioning is ISSUE-4

   <DanC> issue-4?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-4 -- HTML Versioning and DOCTYPEs -- RAISED

   <trackbot> [49]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/4

     [49] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/4

   <pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-4 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   <hsivonen> I think it isn't productive to revisit the versioning
   thread

   <gsnedders> Nor do I.

   Masinter: I'm willing to work on issue 4

   <anne> best of luck :)

   <DanC> well, I think it's productive to propose to close the
   versioning issue and see who squeaks.

   <gsnedders> DanC, I think that's probably as good as anything

   Masinter: I'll take an action and report back in three weeks

   ChrisWilson: move that we adjourn

   <dsinger> thx, bye

   <pimpbot> Title: HTML Weekly Teleconference -- 08 Jan 2009 (at
   www.w3.org)

   <DanC> ACTION: Larry make a proposal on doctypes and versioning
   [recorded in
   [50]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action07]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-93 - Make a proposal on doctypes and
   versioning [on Larry Masinter - due 2009-01-15].

   <DanC> action-93 due in 3 weeks

   <trackbot> ACTION-93 Make a proposal on doctypes and versioning due
   date now in 3 weeks

   <DanC> action-93?

   <trackbot> ACTION-93 -- Larry Masinter to make a proposal on
   doctypes and versioning -- due 1970-01-01 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [51]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/93

     [51] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/93

   <pimpbot> Title: ACTION-93 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

   <DanC> action-93 due 29 Jan 2009

   <trackbot> ACTION-93 Make a proposal on doctypes and versioning due
   date now 29 Jan 2009

   <pimpbot> Title: HTML Weekly Teleconference -- 08 Jan 2009 (at
   www.w3.org)

   <DanC> Mike, please help rubys get the minutes to
   public-html-announce

   <DanC> er... public-html-wg-announce

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Doug to report back on SVG WG's integration proposal
   re: issue-37 [recorded in
   [52]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Larry ask Matt May if he can help represent WAI WGs in
   the HTML WG [recorded in
   [53]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Larry ask Matt May if he can help represent WAI WGs in
   the HTML WG [recorded in
   [54]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Larry make a proposal on doctypes and versioning
   [recorded in
   [55]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: Sam propose 'legacy-compat' and report on feedback
   [recorded in
   [56]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: Schepers to report back on SVG WG's integration
   proposal re: issue-37 [recorded in
   [57]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: shepazu to report back on SVG WG's integration
   proposal re: issue-37 [recorded in
   [58]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/08-html-wg-minutes.html#action03]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [59]scribe.perl version 1.134
    ([60]CVS log)
    $Date: 2009/01/16 17:19:11 $

     [59] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [60] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

-- 
Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/
gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E
Received on Friday, 16 January 2009 17:24:21 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 19 February 2014 13:57:50 UTC