Re: Notes on test suite reorganisation

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:53:26 +0100
To: public-html-testsuite@w3.org, "Robin Berjon" <robin@w3.org>
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:03:41 +0100, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:

> • Inside tests, I made five directories: html5, html51, canvas2d,
> canvas2d2, microdata to reflect the various specs. Technically there
> might be a microdata2 as well, but there doesn't seem to be much motion
> there for now so that can wait.

I'm not sure I'm happy with having separate directories for "html5" and
"html51" (etc). This seems like it would lead to duplicating the whole
testsuite multiple times and cause a maintenance nightmare.

A better option might be to just have an "html" directory with tests for
both html5 and html51 (etc), and if a particular test is not valid for a
particular snapshot, that can be indicated with metadata in the test
itself. Tests should be assumed to reflect the latest spec, since that's
what most implementors are working towards.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software