Re: Getting vendors using W3C tests

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:58:55 -0400
To: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
Cc: "public-html-testsuite@w3.org" <public-html-testsuite@w3.org>, public-test-infra <public-test-infra@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:44 AM, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com> wrote:
> The idea is to have a single, well defined, place for vendor-specific code
> thus reducing the chance of merge conflicts when updating the testsuite and
> helping future maintainers of the local import identify "our code" and
> "their code". Experience from importing other external testsuites suggests
> that such a clean seperation is a big win.

Reasonable.

> I suppose testharness.js could include the testharnessreport.js script
> itself, although it seems a bit like unnecessary magic which is therefore
> best avoided. It is also not-quite-trivial to work out what the right path
> to the script should be. Nothing insurmountable, but I would prefer to avoid
> unless people feel strongly that including two scripts rather than one is a
> unreasonable burden.

Assuming the question of the script path can be resolved, I think it
would be worthwhile.  We should design to make tests as easy to write
as possible.  Even if we can write a lint tool that will complain, or
make testharness.js itself complain, it would be much preferable to
not *have* to complain.