Automated Test Runner

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:37:48 +0100
To: public-html-testsuite@w3.org
Hi,

I thought this would be worth sharing. I put up a sketch of what an
automated test runner could be like here:

http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/EventSource/testrunner.htm
http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/XMLHttpRequest/testrunner.htm

(Now these are not (well, no longer) part of HTML5, but they use the
infrastructure we agreed to use for HTML5 so they work for illustrating
the concept, I think.)

All it requires is tests to be written using testharness.js as well as
linking to testharnessreport.js. See the individual files for details.
testharnessreport.js can be very simple:

http://tc.labs.opera.com/resources/testharnessreport.js

The problem with this test runner is that the amount of tests are not
known upfront. We only know the amount of files. So if we make a test file
manifest it will have to include data on how many tests are in a given
file to give accurate reporting. The reporting itself could be improved as
well.

Cheers,

--
Anne van Kesteren