RE: Canvas, Audio, Video Test Submission

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Kris Krueger wrote:

> I understand that though the reason we didn't choose to use this was
> that the canPlayType call may not actually lead to media being able to
> be played. For example when a UA returns probably it doesn't actually
> mean that the media will play.
>
> If we want to use this then I would encourage to have this api changed
> to be binary (yes/no) so that a web dev can be confident that an end
> user will actually see media playing.

The reason that the API isn't like this is that the UA might not know
which types it can play without just trying to play them. Nevertheless the
problems with having UA sniffing in tests are far greater than the problem
that a UA might think it is able to play a type that it cannot.