RE: HTML Testing Task Force Conf Call Agenda 8/10/2010

Meeting Notes (IRC Log) - this didn't get archieved at the w3c so sending manually.

-Kris

*** krisk [477029dc@128.30.52.43] has joined #htmlt
*** krisk gsnedders jgraham
*** Channel created on Tue Jun 29 08:39:15 2010
<krisk> I'm calling in...
*** plh [plh@128.30.52.28] has joined #htmlt
* plh zakim, who is on the phone?
*** Zakim [rrs-bridgg@128.30.52.169] has joined #htmlt
<plh> zakim, list conferences
<Zakim> I see VB_VBWG()10:00AM, T&S_XMLSEC()10:00AM, W3C_Global(Vision)10:00AM, SW_RIF()11:00AM active
<Zakim> also scheduled at this time are XML_ET-TF()11:00AM, HTML_WG(HTMLT)11:00AM, SW_HCLS(COI)11:00AM, SW_(SPARQL)10:00AM, WAI_UAWG(CHAIRS)10:30AM
<plh> zakim, this is html
<Zakim> plh, I see HTML_WG(HTMLT)11:00AM in the schedule but not yet started.  Perhaps you mean "this will be html".
<plh> zakim, I hate you
<Zakim> I don't understand 'I hate you', plh
<plh> zakim, this will be html
<Zakim> ok, plh, I see HTML_WG(HTMLT)11:00AM already started
* plh zakim, who is on the phone?
* Zakim sees on the phone: +1.425.941.aaaa
* plh zakim, call plh-work
* Zakim ok, plh; the call is being made
<Zakim> +Plh
<krisk> zakim, 1.425.941.aaaa is krisk
<Zakim> sorry, krisk, I do not recognize a party named '1.425.941.aaaa'
<krisk> zakim, [1.425.941.aaaa] is krisk
<Zakim> sorry, krisk, I do not recognize a party named '[1.425.941.aaaa]'
<plh> http://www.w3.org/html/
<krisk> jgraham/gsnedders are you going to dial in?
<jgraham> krisk: I guess I won't dial in. Not sure about gsnedders
<krisk> ok
<gsnedders> zakim, what's the code?
<Zakim> the conference code is 48658 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.26.46.79.03 tel:+44.203.318.0479), gsnedders
<krisk> should we get going?
<jgraham> He just made a funny noise that sounded like "meh, I will"
<Zakim> + +44.472.369.aabb
<gsnedders> zakim, aabb is me
<Zakim> +gsnedders; got it
<krisk> zakim, aaaa is krisk
<Zakim> +krisk; got it
<krisk> let's get going
<krisk> agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-testsuite/2010Aug/0005.html
<krisk> chair: krisk
<krisk> Meeting: HTML5 Testing Task Force
<krisk> first agenda item - bugs on approved tests
<krisk> none
<krisk> agenda item #2 Common area for support scripts/files in submitted (jgrahm's feedback)
<gsnedders> s/jgrahm/jgraham/
* gsnedders thinks that might ping him
<krisk> yep
<Zakim> -gsnedders
<jgraham> We moved the testharness.js file to tests/resources
<krisk> issue is that we can't share common files in submitted
* gsnedders has just had his phone die
* gsnedders gives up on that
<jgraham> The idea is that we will get /resources/testharness.js taht can be used for several (not just HTML) testsuites
<plh> the goal is to publish at http://test.w3.org/resources
<jgraham> e.g. annevk wants it for XHR
<krisk> The location just needs to be fixed
<jgraham> I think /resources/ will be a symlink
<krisk> so that tests don't have to be updated when moved from submitted to approved
<plh> thought it's useable at http://test.w3.org/html/tests/resources/
<jgraham> to /html/tests/resources/
<jgraham> (but on a per file basis)
<jgraham> Is there a problem with multiple parties trying to edit that file or similar files?
<plh> shouldn't be, at long as things don't break
<krisk> The one problem would be
<krisk> when html folks change the files in resources and breaks webapp tests
<krisk> was the goal to move them from http://test.w3.org/html/tests/resources/ to http://test.w3.org/resources/
<jgraham> So hopefully that doesn't happen as long as the API stays the same
<jgraham> ALthough it could of course
<krisk> I think creating the http://test.w3.org/html/tests/resources/ folder and using this for submitted and approved tests should work for html
<jgraham> Yeah that works fine for HTML and is already done
<plh> I think the goal is for /resources/ and /html/tests/resources to be the same
<plh> thought I'm sure why we need both to be honest
<jgraham> At least for individual files
<krisk> so then lets use this as a common location for approved/submitted tests
<plh> resources is for the test framework
<krisk> I correct
<jgraham> Yeah
<krisk> then phl you can create the symlink
<plh> my question is: how does it related to http://test.w3.org/html/tests/harness/ ?
<plh> relate
<plh> oh, the harness is using the js
<plh> ok
<krisk> It could be moved, though it would need to be updated to take a param for tests
<plh> I guess we don't need to at the moment
<krisk> currently this resides in a text file called approvedtests.txt
<plh> James, do you know which harness Anne is planning to use for XHR?
<plh> if nay
<plh> if any
<jgraham> No idea
<krisk> he has added a file to Hg for webapps
<plh> I'm asking on #html-wg. we can move on in the meantine
<plh> meantime
<krisk> http://test.w3.org/webapps/tests/XMLHttpRequest/info.htm
<plh> if he is interested, he'll let us know
<krisk> ok
<krisk> do we agree on this location?
<plh> sure, for resources
<plh> I sent the request to our system folks and will see if I get a pushback
<krisk> thanks - phl!
<krisk> Next agenda item #3 Test Runner/Harness - known tag that contains test result
<jgraham> The harness depends on id="log"
<krisk> Phl see http://test.w3.org/html/tests/submission/Opera/getElementsByClassName/001.htm
<jgraham> I mean the testharness.js
<krisk> yep
<jgraham> It doesn't really matter past that
<krisk> So let's agree on this for automated DOM tests
<jgraham> Yeah
<plh> http://test.w3.org/html/tests/approved/attributes/anchor_href.htm
<plh> this one could become automatic
<krisk> yes - except for one small problem, it has more than one test in the page
<plh> you need to agree on the div
<plh> and the structure of the table inside it
<jgraham> More than one test on a page is no problem
<jgraham> The table inside the div is autogenerated
<jgraham> umm, wait
<krisk> I presume we can look for a collection of tags
<jgraham> maybe I am not following
<krisk> with...
<plh> it is generated
<krisk> of course we could use getElementsByClassName
<plh> the results are in table/thead/td[1]
<plh> (why thead btw, and not tbody?)
<plh> I would suggest to put the results into table/tbody/td[1]
<jgraham> bug?
<plh> probably
<jgraham> if you are talking about testharness.js
* plh looks into testharness.js
<jgraham> (there are other problems with the table generation code e.g. it doesn't work in XHTML in Fx)
<jgraham> (which I need to work around)
<plh> why class?
<jgraham> Why?
<jgraham> getElementById is easy
<jgraham> and there should only be one per page
<krisk> If you want to have more than one test per page
<krisk> If we use ID and not class then we will only have one test per page
<jgraham> Why? The tablecan have > 1 row
<jgraham> and other layers (e.g. the test runner) shouldn't hook into the displayed output anyway
<plh> ah yes, line 486, you need to insert a tbody in the table, test_table.insertRow will add them in the proper place after
<jgraham> plh: Thanks
<jgraham> testharness.js has hooks to get at the test results
<plh> to get the results, you'll do something like getElementById("log").fetch("table/tbody/td[1]").iterate()
<jgraham> You could
<jgraham> But you probably should look at add_completion_callback
<jgraham> it will callback a function with a list of Test objects
<krisk> OK - then lets agree to this format and callback
<jgraham> from which you can get the results and whatever
<plh> ok
<plh> as long as the testharness can access the data, we're fine
<krisk> this should work - any other items to discuss on the test harness/test runner
<krisk> do we want to discuss other items?
<krisk> shall we adjourn?
<Zakim> -Plh
<Zakim> -krisk
<Zakim> HTML_WG(HTMLT)11:00AM has ended
<Zakim> Attendees were +1.425.941.aaaa, Plh, +44.472.369.aabb, gsnedders, krisk
<krisk> rssagent, generate minutes