Re: W3C Director's Blog on EME

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 07:13 -0800, Cory Doctorow wrote:
> To my knowledge, the W3C is not a company, but a nonprofit
> standards-development consortium hosted by three universities.
>
> I'd welcome corrections on this, but the distinction makes a
> difference
> inasmuch as presiding over a consortium is a matter of forging
> consensus
> among the members, while being in charge of a company is about serving
> one's shareholders and corporate charter.

Cory's comment prompted me to do a little research (I LOVE research!)

This is what I found so far (I will digest this info later--this is just
a collection of what I found important):

* It costs quite a bit to be a member:
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/fees (cheapest is 2,500USD for small NPO
in America 2,250 USD)
* This is the published member list:
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/List
* These are the published principles of W3C:
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/mission#principles

Some quotes from the page --

> Design Principles
> The following design principles guide W3C's work.
>

> Web for All
> The social value of the Web is that it enables human communication,
> commerce, and opportunities to share knowledge. One of W3C's primary
> goals is to make these benefits available to all people, whatever
> their hardware, software, network infrastructure, native language,
> culture, geographical location, or physical or mental ability. Learn
> more about:
>
>       * Web Accessibility Initiative
>       * Internationalization
>       * Mobile Web for Social Development
> Web on Everything
> The number of different kinds of devices that can access the Web has
> grown immensely. Mobile phones, smart phones, personal digital
> assistants, interactive television systems, voice response systems,
> kiosks and even certain domestic appliances can all access the Web.
> Learn more about:
>
>       * Web of Devices
>       * Mobile Web Initiative
>       * Browsers and Other Agents