Re: W3C Director's Blog on EME

Regarding "engaging in dialog":

It seems to me that any reading of Tim's post tells us what he plans on
deciding, but I'll take your word that he's still got an open mind.

==

Regarding confidentiality:

I understood that member-confidentiality was a duty of all W3C
participants, not just members.

Is the process that W3C staff are free to disclose member-confidential
material when they feel it is warranted, without consulting the affected
members, but members are not?

Are there any guidelines on which circumstances warrant unilateral
waiver of member confidentiality, or is it a purely ad hoc process?

Is this documented anywhere?

I ask because I've been repeatedly warned -- even when no breach
occurred -- that member confidentiality is paramount to the
organization, and having reviewed the process guidance at the firm and
urgent suggestion of both the W3C CEO and communications director, I
didn't see anything about this.

Can members petition the W3C to make other member-confidential material
public, or is this a purely internal matter? I would certainly make such
petitions if I knew they were part of the process, and I'd love to know
more about that process.

Thank you,

Cory

--

FOR PUBLIC SAFETY REASONS, THIS EMAIL HAS BEEN INTERCEPTED BY YOUR
GOVERNMENT AND WILL BE RETAINED FOR FUTURE ANALYSIS

--

Cory Doctorow
doctorow@craphound.com

For avoidance of doubt: This email does not constitute permission to add

blog: boingboing.net
upcoming appearances: craphound.com/?page_id=4667
books (novels, collections graphic novels, essay collections): craphound.com
latest nonfiction: Information Doesn't Want to Be Free
latest graphic novel: In Real Life
podcast: feeds.feedburner.com/doctorow_podcast
latest novel: Homeland craphound.com/homeland
latest short story collection: With a Little Help craphound.com/walh

Join my mailing list and find out about upcoming books, stories,
articles and appearances:

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
any and all NON-NEGOTIATED  agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have
entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and
assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release
me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

As is the case with every email you've ever received, this email has not
been scanned for all known viruses.

Duh.