[media-source] Sequence AppendMode can produce surprisingly bad results with muxed media

From: wolenetz via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 06:22:32 +0000
To: public-html-media@w3.org
wolenetz has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/media-source:

== Sequence AppendMode can produce surprisingly bad results with muxed media ==
I think various co-editors and web authors over time, including myself, have noticed problems with spec-compliant processing of muxed coded frames in sequence AppendMode. The issues I see usually stem from the auto-updated timestampOffset, calculated on the first frame processed after a discontinuity in one track, becomes applied to all of the tracks. This can result in loss of A/V sync. There are other cases that, depending on implementation choices, can result in buffered range gaps and playback stalls, too.

Though I recall we had chatted about possibly deprecating/disallowing 'sequence' mode usage for SourceBuffers that have more than 1 track, I couldn't find a resulting spec bug. Let's please discuss here.

Thanks!

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/186 using your GitHub account