Re: Response from Director to formal objection "Turn off EME by default and activate only with express permission from user"

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 7:09 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

>>> ​Different from their conflict-of-interest when it comes to making money
>>> from ads ?
>>>

>> Browser vendors can have conflicts of interest. In theory, this could be
>> making money from ads. However, in this case, DRM is a clear conflict of
>> interest. Google owns both Widevine and the browser, for example, and
>> stands to make money from streaming content that requires DRM.
>>

> ​I mean, more explicitly, that Google could clearly gain advantage by
> having their browser pony up privacy-sensitive tracking information that
> would enhance their ad targeting and hence their ad sales. Yet users trust
> them not to do this in a user-hostile way. ​I don't see the situation is
> any different with DRM, except that the amount of money Google stand to
> make from DRM is probably insignificant compared to their ad revenue.

Not so. Thus interest in various ad-blockers, privacy-enhanced browsing,
etc.

One of the likely causes for this latest round of support by DRM by media,
pushing, and now even Web companies is the long-term unreliability of
advertising revenue. See joint Google/Microsoft study: On the near
impossibility of measuring the returns to advertising by Randall Lewis
(Google) and Justin Rao  (Microsoft):
http://justinmrao.com/lewis_rao_nearimpossibility.pdf

>>> If you don't trust the UA vendor with user security and privacy, I think
>>> all bets are off.​
>>>

>> As someone who is currently in a room with the two crypto-engineers with
>> Mozilla, of course users should not trust the UA vendors with security and
>> privacy 100%. Browser vendors are usually under-resourced in terms of
>> security and de-prioritize user-privacy. Therefore, for *powerful features*
>> we require TLS. For *dangerous features* we require user consent.
>>
>> For example, with WebRTC, we keep audio/video *off by default* without
>> user permissions. Can you please explain how WebRTC audio/video is more
>> dangerous than opaque DRM code? After all, both are sandboxed, no?
>>

> ​I'm not familiar with the WebRTC security considerations. Perhaps you
> could point me at the rational for mandatory consent in that case ?​

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtcweb-security-arch-12#page-12

See 5.2

>>> ​This is why they do things like pwn2own.
>>>

>> See above. I am sympathetic to UA implementors, but they are
>> under-resourced. At least in every company I've talked to, including
>> Mozilla and Google, the security and privacy engineers (if they have a
>> backbone, which most do) have been against DRM openly due to the security
>> concerns brought up in the EFF petition and consider this entire
>> standardization effort to be driven by DMCA requirements re streaming
>> encrypted content The wider and neutral security community has spoken out
>> and said shipping DRM with browsers that can access it via EME in dangerous.
>>

> ​Just for for the record, as one of the organizations driving this effort,
> our rationale for this has nothing at all to do with the DMCA and
> everything to do with improving the user experience: specifically plug-in
> free access to our service and access to hardware decoders to improve
> battery life and video quality.​ Improvement in security and privacy vs
> Silverlight is also a benefit. That's really it: hardware decoders enabling
> 4K and soon HDR are a big deal for us. This has been a lot of work for a
> technical refactoring exercise.

However, none of this technical re-factoring benefits are loss by having it
off by default. They would only cause a problem if there was concern re
user retention or profit loss.

>> If there is a Google, Mozilla, or Microsoft security or privacy engineer
>> who would like stand up and say EME is a *good thing* for user security and
>> the wider academic community is wrong, I'm all ears to hear their
>> explanation.
>>

> ​I've not heard anyone argue that Flash and Silverlight etc. were better
> for user security and privacy ​than EME. Is that what you're claiming ?

No, and I would appreciate it if you didn't claim I did.

 However, wiith third-party plug-ins users had a *choice* to install them
and they were *off by default*. So, I'm asking for EME/DRM to give users
the same level of control and 'off-by-default' as existed pre-EME, rather
than the loss of capabilities.